lapis trustone: what went wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

emackrell

So there I was last night, sanding a lapis trustone Jr Gent blank on the lathe. All of a sudden the blank starts to look discolored near the cap end. I stopped the lathe and found a small patch of trustone that had somehow lost its color. It looked like I had sanded right through the color, which of course should not be possible with trustone. What's left looks like the cloudy heavy plastic they make chair-mats for office chairs out of.

I was using abranet at the time, not applying much pressure, and there was still lots of material above the tube. Still is, in fact, it's just not blue any more.

Anyone ever had this happen to them? Any ideas on what I might have done to get this reaction or how it could be prevented? The pen was going to be a Christmas gift for my Dad. If I can figure out how to not have this happen again I'll retry with another blank -- but trustone is kinda expensive to risk another blank just on spec.

Sigh Eileen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

It sounds like you got a defective blank, but you may not need to start over. Does the discolored section begin right at the end? How long is it? The cap on the Jr. Gent/Statesman and also on Barons has a fair amount of leeway for making it shorter. If you only use the bottom ring of the CB, you can make the cap quite a bit shorter.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Eileen, egad!!!!!

Although the situation sounds dire, have you considered enhancing your ever-changing design with a beautiful "oops ring". (Actually, oops ringS - one on each end to "balance")

With Lapis, the ideal might be a couple gold rings, with black or blue accents. The black or blue are easily found, but gold (Maybe brass washers???)

I have great confidence in your ingenuity, want to see the picture of your finished product. I expect nothing short of "a stunner!!"

Go getum, lady!!!![:)][:)][:)][:)]

ashaw

Eileen

Same thing happened to me. When I finised sanding with mm and water the color seem to come back. If you haven't done so just continue with you sanding and polishing rountine. I hope this helps.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by ashaw
<br />Eileen

Same thing happened to me. When I finised sanding with mm and water the color seem to come back. If you haven't done so just continue with you sanding and polishing rountine. I hope this helps.

WHAT?????

Is this stuff possessed???

No wonder it's so expensive, it includes spirits

emackrell

Well, apparently I did not sufficiently propitiate the Spirit of the Trustone. The lapis color did not come back with continued sanding, so I will try the "oops bands" next.

Or possibly just a ropey thingy or two to hide the clear patch. [}:)][;)]

Thanks for the suggestions!

cheers Eileen [8D]

Sylvanite

Originally posted by emackrell
<br />Well, apparently I did not sufficiently propitiate the Spirit of the Trustone. The lapis color did not come back with continued sanding, so I will try the "oops bands" next.

Or possibly just a ropey thingy or two to hide the clear patch. [}:)][;)]

I don't know Eileen, does a ropey thingy usually placate a spirit? Maybe it would in this case, since the trustone is blue. I doubt I can help you with the things that sailors typically use to appease the spirit of the deep (that ususally involves spirits of a different kind and/or virgins, and my supply of both is a bit low right now lol).

If you like, I can check my hard disk for some extra e-RopeyThingies and e-Mail you one. I'm wracking my brain, but I just can't seem to remember where I put my last e-OopsRopeyThingy.

Seriously though, good luck with the blank.

Regards,
Eric

P.S. Just how long can we perpetuate the term (or should I say "Eagle-ism") "ropey thingy"?

emackrell

Originally posted by Sylvanite
Just how long can we perpetuate the term (or should I say "Eagle-ism") "ropey thingy"?

I see no reason ever to go back to those old-fashioned, limiting, controversial terms that disempower and belittle anthropoid sentient simian beings who after all share many genes with humans, or that disparage and make mock of the headgear favored by a particular nation of persons who share even more genes with humans. "Ropey thingies" deserves to pass into technical nautical parlance as a post-modern politically correct term of art. Ropey thingies they are and shall remain.

Yours in political correctness
(like all sailors)

Eileen[;)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
WHEW!!!!

Eagle, I think your term has now been un-officially accepted by the Naval Dept at the Pentagon!!!

WOW!!!!! Maybe you could make him an honorary Navy guy, you know, "Seaman first class, Eagle"!! [^][^][^]

(DISCLAIMER; Jeff, any take-off of the above by mutilating the spelling was never even considered by ME)

skibrow

Eileen, I have had this happen with a few pieces of the Trustone. I know it stinks, but if you call CSU they will replace the defective pieces for you.

emackrell

Update, further to Skip's suggestion... I called CSUSA and they promised to replace the defective blank immediately. No hassles whatever. Great service!

cheers Eileen [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom