Labels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimbob91577

I've read a few posts about puting a label on a pen. I'm wondering from those who have done this - how do you go about getting your labels? Are they clear?

I'm looking at making trophy baseball bats ASAP and am thinking of getting a label made up with the team logo.

Thoughts, help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Jim

Not to be a short answer but a more efficient answer. Use the search feature in the blue ribbon on top of the page. Type in label making or things of that nature and then if you have specific questions come back here and am sure they wil get answered. Lots of good info there.

jleiwig

Jim

Not to be a short answer but a more efficient answer. Use the search feature in the blue ribbon on top of the page. Type in label making or things of that nature and then if you have specific questions come back here and am sure they wil get answered. Lots of good info there.

I'm not sure you two are talking about the same thing. To me it sounds like Jim is looking for an applied label, not a cast label, which is what I believe you are referencing.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Are you asking about a label like a price tag, or a label like something engraved into the pen??

There is no easy solution to the first. I think everything you hang on the pen is a distraction at the least, and most options are ugly. There are little price tags available from the jewelry supply places.

For the second type of label that is permanently attached, a laser engraving is the best and most permanent option. You can buy little metal logos that attach to the top finial of the pen or the clip. Whether these are available for baseball teams is another matter.

Tell us what you want and you will get better answers to your question.

KenV

Depending on the team -- you are perhaps headed into the murky and dangerous world of Trademarks and litigation. Most logos for established teams are trademarks. The law requires that the holder of the trademark defend it or lose it.

jimbob91577

Sorry, should have clarified more. I'm looking to put a decal (not label) on a blank bat and apply a finish over the decal.

John T: Did a quick search, found something moderatly useful, googled found something quite a bit less useful, but was wondering if those people who do decals have them professionally printed or if they use their ink printers. But thanks for the help.

Russ: Option 2 is laser engraving, but laser engraving has it's limitations. For example, If I painted my bat black, wanted Orange lettering, and white accents, I couldn't do that with laser engraving. Even with masking.

Ken: Regarding Trademarks - as long as I'm not putting a MLB or other company logo on said bat, I should be fine, right? The logo I was referring to is the Team Name in the font that is on their jerseys. Further, these bats will not be for resale, rather, they are to be donated to the team.

its_virgil

Contact Ken Nelson at http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com before you give up on laser engraving....unless you already have.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Russ: Option 2 is laser engraving, but laser engraving has it's limitations. For example, If I painted my bat black, wanted Orange lettering, and white accents, I couldn't do that with laser engraving. Even with masking.

DozerMite

Banned
Decals are printed on ink jet or laser jet. They are available in clear or white. You will have to spray them with a clear, apply, then seal them in with a clear top coat. Most use a CA finish for this.

jttheclockman

Jim

Most everyone prints their labels using an ink jet or laser copier and they print them on decal paper. Testor's is a brand used alot as well as ( mind went blank) You find them in the Office Max and Staples stores. People size the label to their needs. AVERY is the name I was thinking of. Like I said their is alot of good topics on this and in fact in the library there is a tutorial about applying labels. It has been discussed how to top coat them to protect them also. Then there is the casting of labels but that is another topic. Not trying to be vague on you but there is many different methods and I just thought if you read some past posts it would be helpful. I am sure others will jump in here and explain their methods. Good luck and as was mentioned be careful with trademarks.

I just reread your last post and these are bats that are to be game use then engraving is the only way to go and there I would check someone locally because shipping bats to get engraved will run some money. There is a sports trophy store in my area and am sure you may have something similar that can do the job for you. Good luck and sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

jimbob91577

John: The only thing I could find at the local Staples is clear self adhesive Avery labels - which I'm afraid if I printed on with the inkjet printer would smear while applying a top coat.

Unfortunately CA isn't the finish of choice here as I have 20+ bats to do that are 18" long. Just not enough CA in the shop for this type of application. I'm planning on using an exterior grade clear poly for this type of application.

Here in podunk we lack some of the basics such as a good hobby shop. So I can't find anything in the Testors brand except some of their oil paints. I'm looking online for decal paper and have found that they can ship the paper, but not the acrylic sealer - they recommend the local Home Despot.

We do have a laser engraving place, but they want 5.00/bat for this project. So with the cost of the bat, the engraving, plus my time and additional materials to finish the project, I'm guessing the cost of each bat would be about $10. I'm hoping that I can use a decal and perhaps lower that cost.

Top Bottom