Kingswood Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

LAKingsFan

Has anyone worked with Kingswood before? I just bought a blank from woodcraft at $3.99 ea. Turning this wood is tough! It seems to have small imperfections in the wood no matter how much you sand it. It never got even close to perfect as a finished blank.

I have a Jet lathe and was turning at a speed of 1800. Not sure if I was going too slow or even too fast.

I seem to have this problem with darker woods :(

Any advice?

Ron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by LAKingsFan
<br />Has anyone worked with Kingswood before? I just bought a blank from woodcraft at $3.99 ea. Turning this wood is tough! It seems to have small imperfections in the wood no matter how much you sand it. It never got even close to perfect as a finished blank.

I have a Jet lathe and was turning at a speed of 1800. Not sure if I was going too slow or even too fast.

I seem to have this problem with darker woods [:(]

Any advice?

That's some pricey Kingwood!! I used to buy 10 packs of it at WC for about $10-$13. It turns very easy like all other kingwoods, I assume you are using sharp tools. What do you mean with imperfections? Post a picture, this wood normally has no voids and finishes well.

Ron

fritzmccorkle

i've turned a lot of kingwood and have had no troubles. i turn mainly at 2600, but i don't think that is gonna be a huge difference. we sell kingwood for .85 cents so theirs is a little pricey.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by fritzmccorkle
<br />i've turned a lot of kingwood and have had no troubles. i turn mainly at 2600, but i don't think that is gonna be a huge difference. we sell kingwood for .85 cents so theirs is a little pricey.

Tell me when any wood at Woodcraft is not pricey... [:(!][:(!]

airrat

I agree with Griz on that. Also I have noticed the quality of thier wood is not as good as you can find from some of the guys here.

Mikey

Wood from anywhere is generally cheaper than WC. Some of the same stuff I bought at Berea sells for 2x as much at WC.

Not sure about Kingswood, (maybe a typo?) but I have a spindle of Kingwood I got from Berea for turning bottle stoppers. I paid about $16 and will most likely get about 7 blanks from the section. I have turned one and IMO, it cuts like butter and sands to a nice gloss.

The Kingwood I use has no voids and finishes very well with just MM. I usually turn at 2600 RPM. Make sure your tools are sharp. Try some of the members here for a better price.

edit - spelling

its_virgil

Kingwood for me has been noneventful but the results are really nice. Kingwood turns well and finishes well as dp ,ost rosewoods (an I think kingwood is a rosewood). I use cellulose sanding sealer or a CA dust slurry on all wood blanks. Sand paper particles can get in the grain of some woods and cause color problems. I seem to not have that problem since beginning the use of sanding sealer and or the CA slurry. I get kingwood from Curly Woods in McKinney, Texas and cut my own blanks. Much cheaper that way.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom