Just wondering????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Larry in TN

Why is it that all ballpoint and rollerball kits come with black ink but fountain pens come with blue ink? I am fairly new to this business, but I am sure some of you "veterans" know the answer.:confused::confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

You can get just about any color you want. As far as what they come with I think depends on where you get the kit. If I remember my old time history, there actually is a historical reason for what color for what documents but I am afraid the memory is slipping. May have to do a google search on that.

Dan Masshardt

I think I've gotten black with some fountain kits but I don't really remember.

For ballpoint pens, black has always been the most universal I think.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Why is it that all ballpoint and rollerball kits come with black ink but fountain pens come with blue ink? I am fairly new to this business, but I am sure some of you "veterans" know the answer.:confused::confused:
Black just happens to be the most common packed with kits from the major suppliers. In fountain pens blue was the most common ink we used when I was young and we used them a lot.

In the early days of copying blue would not copy and so people used black ink for filling out things that needed to be run through the Xerox. I think that is how the tradition of black ballpoint got started, later on Rollerballs just seemed to stick with that even though copiers had advanced.

Just as an aside: Some later copiers wouldn't copy red - our local food pantry still clings to stamping some things in "red" so clients can't copy them. The first day I volunteered there I showed them that red can indeed be copied --- that was 3 years ago and they still tell new volunteers that red won't copy.

Scruffy

WRT red copying..

Back in the dark ages... 80s and 90s.

The USPS wanted companies like Pitney-Bowes to put the postal mark on an envelope in red. But for legal purposes, it had to be copyable. There was a lot money spent in that time frame coming up with a red "ink" that could be copied that the government would allow and approve.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Back in the dark ages... 80s and 90s.

The USPS wanted companies like Pitney-Bowes to put the postal mark on an envelope in red. But for legal purposes, it had to be copyable. There was a lot money spent in that time frame coming up with a red "ink" that could be copied that the government would allow and approve.
I have no idea about that - I know that I've printed postage since 1991 using Pitney-Bowes, black and white printers and color printers with the printing always black.

Olsarge

Blue ink is now used on legal documents to show that they are not copies or faxes. At least that is what I have been told by the legal people.

jttheclockman

Blue ink is now used on legal documents to show that they are not copies or faxes. At least that is what I have been told by the legal people.

Yes that is part of it if I remember. There is more to the story. I may have to do some research.

plantman

Black just happens to be the most common packed with kits from the major suppliers. In fountain pens blue was the most common ink we used when I was young and we used them a lot.

In the early days of copying blue would not copy and so people used black ink for filling out things that needed to be run through the Xerox. I think that is how the tradition of black ballpoint got started, later on Rollerballs just seemed to stick with that even though copiers had advanced.

Just as an aside: Some later copiers wouldn't copy red - our local food pantry still clings to stamping some things in "red" so clients can't copy them. The first day I volunteered there I showed them that red can indeed be copied --- that was 3 years ago and they still tell new volunteers that red won't copy.

Smitty; When you and I used to write papers back in school, the ink was in glass bottles in holes in our desks, the pens had feathers on the ends, and blue ink was the only one thick enough to not run out of the quill. AH !! The good old days !!! Jim S

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
That might be true some places but in many instances - faxes are accepted as originals and signatures are accepted. Blue ink can be copied and appears blue on color copies - so it really doesn't show anything.

JerrySambrook

We used to have to use blue ink for dating and signing government forms back in the 70's and 80's.

Color printers were not as easily available back then at a reasonable cost.

So, the thinking then was blue ink was not copyable as blue, but could still be copied as a facsimile if need be.

There also used to be a special green ink we had to use on some forms as well for the same reason.

now-a-days, copiers are cheap and can easily do most colors

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Smitty; When you and I used to write papers back in school, the ink was in glass bottles in holes in our desks, the pens had feathers on the ends, and blue ink was the only one thick enough to not run out of the quill. AH !! The good old days !!! Jim S
lol-- I started school in 1943, which was a couple of years after they removed most of the ink bottles. We still had a hole in the desktop to hold the bottle and a groove to lay the pen in but only the 9th and 10th grades (my school only went to 10th grade) still had ink in the bottles. In 8th grade we still had to write some papers in ink but we had to provide our own ink and pen ... most of us used a fountain pen but some still used a dip pen. We hated it because we had to start over if we got an ink blot.....Great incentive for keeping papers short.

ttpenman

In grade school (Catholic -'60's) ballpoint pens were forbidden. Everyone used fountain pens and there was a large (gallon?) bottle of ink in the supply closet. My friends Dad worked maintenance at a hospital and we would stop after school and get used syringes to fill ink cartridges (try that today!!).

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
In grade school (Catholic -'60's) ballpoint pens were forbidden. Everyone used fountain pens and there was a large (gallon?) bottle of ink in the supply closet. My friends Dad worked maintenance at a hospital and we would stop after school and get used syringes to fill ink cartridges (try that today!!).

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
Ballpoint pens were too expensive for most of us when I was in school and the refills were not all that reliable so no body really used them very much. While I was in the service I wrote my letters home with a fountain pen - or even a pencil rather than a ballpoint.

bjbear76

Now that brings back memories. When My dad was stationed in Korea, all his letters were written with a fountain pen; I still have them today. On the other hand, when my brother was in Desert Storm, there were no letters, just emails. Communication is quicker, but you no longer have a keepsake that you can pull out and share with your grandchildren. oh well

Chasper

Fountain pens come with blue ink? You mean the fountain pen kits? I've made and sold hundreds of them and didn't know the ink was blue. I threw away every ink cartridge that ever came with any kits I bought. I've heard the ink isn't good quality, but I've never tried it myself. Are you sure the ink in all of them is blue? Now I'm going to have to try one.

Larry in TN

I am new to this business, but all of the fountain pen kits(appx 20) all had blue ink cartridges. My issue is with the ballpoints and the rollerball kits with the black ink refills. Some blanks lend one to assume the ink should be blue as opposed to black. Now normally I would upgrade anyway so it is not a real problem. Like I said - just wondering???

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
When I upgrade fountain pen kits I use almost all blue ink - I order from my supplier asking for their most popular colors...they are mostly blue. When I order Parker style refills I order mostly black - that is what most customers want, when I order rollerball refills I order all black - that is what customers want. If customers start asking for blue refills vendors will provide them.

walshjp17

While I was in the service I wrote my letters home with a fountain pen - or even a pencil rather than a ballpoint.

When I entered the service in 1962, we all used those black ballpoint click pens with "U.S.Government" engraved on the side. They were assembled by blind workers for Skilcraft under contract to Uncle Sam. They were still in use when I retired in 1988.

As an FYI, the assembly factories were in in Wisconsin and North Carolina.
It has been described as "the Coca-Cola of ink pens," because everybody can recognize it and the standards to which it is manufactured are so high: it must write continuously for a mile and in a range of temperatures from 160 degrees Fahrenheit to 40 degrees below zero.

Read more at http://www.omg-facts.com/Sex/All-US-Government-Pens-Are-Manufactured/45280#KqyTY4ACu5ZeuwBp.99

Last edited:

nava1uni

Actually you cannot use black ink for any legal documents. They do show up differently on copies and so it is possible to tell the copy from the original. In my profession you have to use blue ink only. So when I sell a pen I give the buyer the option of blue or black ink.

Exabian

That might be true some places but in many instances - faxes are accepted as originals and signatures are accepted. Blue ink can be copied and appears blue on color copies - so it really doesn't show anything.

This is true. I deal with signatures all day and I've notice that I can tell a blue ink and copy in blue ink easier and fast then I can a black ink and copy. Mainly because the blue ink in printers look different then pen ink to me. But I have not encountered every copier in the world so this is based of my experience

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Actually you cannot use black ink for any legal documents.
I think that's going a little far.

We sign all sorts of legal documents with whatever pen we have in our pocket including real estate contracts, tax returns, credit card receipts. I frequently have to sign import documents related to the Toxic Substance Control Act where I sign in what ever color, copy the document and attach it to an email.

Top Bottom