JGII - don't try this

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PMisiaszek

I sold a high-end Junior Gentleman II to a customer who wasn't happy with the ink flow. After trying to solve his problem, I offered to replace the fountain pen assembly with a rollerball on his pen. Easy I thought, screw the old tip assembly out and the rollerball replacement from my spares in. The replacement didn't fit because the threads were different. I assumed my spare tip assemblies must be the original JG, not JGII, so I went looking for a replacement JGII tip assembly. Roy generously offered to send me one, but I decided to pull one from one of my pens to solve this problem. It didn't fit... the threads are on a JGII fountain pen are different from those on a JGII rollerball, and the assembly won't screw into the receiver in the barrel. OK, I have original JG parts including an entire tip assembly including the threaded receiver so I'll tap out the entire end of the barrel and rebuild it. But, the threads on the outside of the tip assembly on the JG are different from those on the JGII, so if I did a swap, the barrel would not screw into the cap. I'm turning him a new pen and chalking this up to experience.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

There is a section somewhere that will fit it.

There have been a few lengthy threads about this topic and the frustration involved for some.

Check out the archives.

Frustrating for sure...

StuartCovey

I can see how that would be frustrating! I thought about doing that with a couple of my Jr Gent 2 pens. Now I know that won't work.

Is that typical with all pens like that? Like the Atrax, Citizen, etc.

toddlajoie

Is that typical with all pens like that? Like the Atrax, Citizen, etc.

I can't speak for any specific kits, or consistently ANY pen kit, as things have been known to change on kits on occasion (for better or worse sometimes....) but there was a kit sold for a while (Triton I believe, but don't quote me) that came with both rollerball and fountain front sections and could be changed any time... I believe I also did that at one point and time with the Woodcraft Navigator (i.e. Berea Barron and a few other names...)

As to the original post, good to know, I think I would have assumed that you could do that without a problem...

PMisiaszek

Don, Yes, it has an upgrade Bock nib. And yes, I fussed over the flow by cleaning the business end of the pen thoroughly. I do not know how to adjust the flow other than to make sure all of the components are undamaged and properly installed. After cleaning, it seemed to work fine for me. He bought pen flush and cleaned it when he next had flow problems. But, that didn't seem to solve the problem.

Dan, I thought of that. Just pulling the fountain nib and replacing it with the rollerball tip would have been an easy solution. There are no threads in the fountain pen assembly and pressing won't work.

Pete

GDGeorge

Smitty had a kit that was both for awhile. I think he called it the convertable. It was a very basic classic style pen. It wasn't a large pen at all, and didn't seem to be popular. I like it as a lower end kit.

Jerry

Top Bottom