Inlay kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc

I have recently decided to try a handful on inlay kits and am looking for some assembly tips.

Some of the wood pieces that need to be inserted are so small that even my tweezers and magnifier lamp don't seem to help much.

If any of you have experience and can make some suggestions I would be deeply appreciative.

Does it help to use a straight pin and lightly pierce the smaller peices?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave Turner

I've made several of the flag inlay kits. Here's what works for me.

Put the tube into the blank for support while working. I use tweezers and my head magnifiers. I put a few drops of liquid dishwashing soap in a small bowl of water and mix. I then briefly dip the star I'm placing into the soapy water prior to placing it into it's hole on the blank. I push it in with the tweezers enough to get it started and oriented in the correct position. I then use a small tube (the plastic handle from detail paint brush), which I roll over the star several times using pressure. This seats the star all the way into the hole. I can verify that it's seated all the way by pulling out the brass tube and looking at the inside of the blank if I need to, but after you've done several you get a feel for what's fully seated. This varies by the kit since some of the pieces seem to be cut thicker on certain kits, but is uniform for the entire kit.

Once all the pieces are fully seated, I let the blank dry overnight, then flood the inside and outside of the blank with thin CA to fix everything in place (be sure you wear vinyl gloves for this DAMHIKT). This invariably makes the blank hole too small for the brass tube, so I redrill the hole with the correct drill size. For the flag kits, I square up the ends of the stars and the stripes blanks before epoxying them together and to the tube so they form a seamless joint at the right spot. Of course you have to cut the ends off the stripes blank after it's been CA'd. I usually cut just beyond the stripes then sand the rest of the way on my disc sander.

JohnU

Make sure you dry fit everything together to make sure you get the fit and placement you want, before you put any glue on it. Most of them that Ive made I didnt drill after gluing them together. There were enough pieces for the thin CA to penetrate to the tubes and hold them on. Once I had to epoxy the tube in and just used scissors to scrape the inside of the pre drilled hole to get the tube to fit.

Last edited:

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
For the most part I do them the same way Dave does but instead of re-drilling I use a rat tail file. I also wrap each blank with painters or masking tape then flood the inside with thin CA. The tape makes them easier to handle. I don't flood the outside until I turn away the tape and get closer to size but always re-glue before any sanding.

Dave Turner

How do you drill?
Speed?
Creep up in size?
Any heat will make the CA grab that bit and seize

I drill on my lathe. The blank is held in my pin jaws and this has centered it adequately for drilling. I usually drill around 500 rpm and use the drill size I would normally use for that component set. It just seems to scrape the inside of the hole rather than "drilling it", producing a fine powder of the CA glue that is scraped off the inside of the hole. This has worked well for me each time and the brass tube fits perfectly.

Dave

Top Bottom