If you have done a Stars and Stripes pen.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RonSchmitt

Ken says use " yellow glue thinned with water " OK, so I use elmers wood glue, but thinned how much? I've never tried thinning glue and this is the LAST pen I want to screw up because I glued it with too thin of a glue.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

I agree with Ron, review the 3 videos in the library before starting. They help tremendously. To answer your question, it is a 50/50 mix of glue and water.

Texatdurango

I've done several and the exact ratio is not that important. The idea is to get the glue thick enough that when you dip the stars in, enough stays on the star yet thin enough to flow in the star socket and give ample glueing.

I'd thin some down a little, stick a few stars and plug them into their sockets. After a few, you will know if it's too thick or too thin.

Chasper

I made a stars and stripes. I didn't pay much attention to the water/glue mix, just shot a wad of glue into a cup and splashed it with some water. It probably ended up somewhere between 70:30 and 30:70. It worked fine.

BTW, watering down glue is useful in gluing together two flexible and pourus materials; paper to paper, leather to leather, etc. as well as a sealer top coat. It penetrates better than non-diluted glue and since it is spread thinner it flexes better.

S

spiritwoodturner

I've made 3 of them, and never worried too much about the mix either. I put titebond III in a small Dixie cup with a few drops of water and it's been fine. Doesn't matter what it looks like when you get through (it's a mess) but I also think the water helps the wood be a bit more "flexible" - important when you're getting small, sharp-cornered pieces in a marginally bigger hole. My biggest challengs is my 55 year old eyeballs. They don't work like they used to! My kids think I'm a fvreak when I wear my Mageyes, but without those, these kits would be impossible for me. The kits can be tricky at first, but you get the hang of it quick enough. And call Ken if you need anything, he's the best to work with!

Good Luck,
Dale

Top Bottom