I hate epoxying tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenAddict

For all you batch turners, what's your secrets when epoxying the tubes. I just struggled with 5 pens going through my routine using a 5 minute epoxy. Dabbing and spreading the epoxy on the tube is a pain besides trying to get a couple of pen blanks done in the 5 minute window.
Then when I drive the tubes through the blank, all the epoxy ends up at the other end of the blank. I let the newly epoxied blanks sit for a few hours before turning. I just found a loose tube after trying to set a tip. That's why I stopped using CA.
So how about a few foolproof tips or two.

Thanks,

Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scooley01

I use 15 minute epoxy instead of 5 minute. I mix up enough to do however many pens I'm working on, or a few at a time, whichever seems more manageable/reasonable at the moment. Scuff the tube, roll the bottom 1/3-1/2 with a liberal amount of epoxy. I push the tube into the blank with a twisting motion to coat the insides, then I pull the tube back out, and insert it from the other end of the blank as well...just to make sure there's epoxy everywhere. Then I push the tube all the way in using a wooden skewer (The other end of which I used to mix the epoxy). Then I use the skewer to scrape any mounded up epoxy from either end of the blank, and set it to dry. It says full strength in 45 minutes, but I give it an hour and a half, because I don't want any loose tubes...that's why I stopped using CA also!

randyrls

Scott; Sand the brass tubes to roughen the surface.

Use dental wax sheets or playdoh to plug the inserted end of the tube. Put the glue inside the blank. Glue should be pushed out the other end of the tube if you are using enough. Put glue around the inserted end of the tube. It should form a doughnut around the tube.

I use thick CA with this technique, don't have a problem.

Last edited:

dgerwin11

If I am doing a bunch, I find a polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue) to be more convenient. Yes, I am in the sanding of the tubes school.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I dont sand the tubes, unless they feel oily or they have oxidized badly. I put epoxy down the blank about 1/3 the way, I put epoxy on the tube about 1/3 the way and push that end into the blank. That way the epoxy in the blank is pushed through the blank, coating as it goes, and some of it comes out the other end. While the epoxy on the tube is pushed back along the tube as its inserted in the blank. I push the tube at least a 1/3 of the way through to visuallysee that i have adequate covering of the tube and push it back in and set it aside. Plugging the ends first saves lots of cleanup later.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I also agree with Randy. I used plumber's putty in the tubes to keep the epoxy out.

I use 5 min, 15 to 30 min and 1 hour epoxy. If I have 1 or 2 banks to tube, I use 5 min; If I have 3 to 6 or 7, I will use the 15 - 30 min. When I am segmenting several blanks or tubing 10 or so, I will use one hour or 90 minute, which ever I have.

In addition to coating the inside the blank, I add a thin coat on the tube. Some might consider it overkill, but the extra tight bond that is made gives an additional bit of peace of mind when doing segments.

ALA

For all you batch turners, what's your secrets when epoxying the tubes. I just struggled with 5 pens going through my routine using a 5 minute epoxy. Dabbing and spreading the epoxy on the tube is a pain besides trying to get a couple of pen blanks done in the 5 minute window.
Then when I drive the tubes through the blank, all the epoxy ends up at the other end of the blank. I let the newly epoxied blanks sit for a few hours before turning. I just found a loose tube after trying to set a tip. That's why I stopped using CA.

Thanks,

Scott

I've had the same problem. :eek: I switched from CA to 5 min. epoxy and still had some problems so I figured I just wasn't getting enough glue in the blank. I've had better luck on the last few...hope this continues.

PenAddict

Thanks for all these new techniques. Next thing I'll do is grab some 15 minute epoxy, that extra 10 minutes has got to result in a better set tube and hopefully coating the blanks as suggested will solve my problems...but I bet I'll still hate epoxying these tubes.

razor524

Instead of playdoh or dental wax you could also use plumbers putty which is inexpensive. I use 5 minute epoxy, fill both ends of the tubes with putty, roll the sanded tube around in it and insert, then I sometimes rub some epoxy on the end of the tubes. You could also use a straw and put some epoxy in the blank before inserting the tube. I let the dry overnight then use a piece of metal that was a stake for outdoor decorations and push the putty and extra epoxy out of the tube. I then run a wire brush through the tube. Sounds like a lot but really only takes a minute or two.

dexter0606

I use Playdough to plug the ends. Mix my epoxy on a large Post-it note and roll the tube around in it. Twist the tube as you insert into the blank. Use a popsicle stick as a squeegee to remove the epoxy that squeezes out and apply this to the next tube to be inserted. The Post-it gets me enough glue to do about 4 or 5 double blanks.
I use 5 minute epoxy and have no problems
If I have a bunch of blanks to do I just line up the Post-its on the bench and mix batches as I go as required

I just love Gorilla glue to glue my tubes. I sand the tubes and pour a bit of water into the blank hole prior to inserting the glued tube. Gorilla glue works its best in a humid environment. I love the fact that it expands, filling every little gap inside.

Justturnin

I had the same issue when I started w/ Epoxy now I only mix enough to do about 4 tubes at a time. My goal is to run out of epoxy not time, and them mix some more. Like Mentioned above I fill the ends w/ Plumber Putty or Play-do, sand the tubes. I mix up a small amount on a 4"x4" piece of cardboard. Stir w/ Skewer. I insert my tubes from the center cut so I get the best grain match possible, so I coat the inside of the blank from the bottom about half way. I then coat the middle of the tube and insert it. A lot of folks say twist the tube but I dont, I twist the blank. Twisting the blank keeps that drip running down the end on the tube and going in the hole instead of dripping on your table. Push the tube in and lay them level or the tubes can slide out and that will **** you off. Good luck!!

dexter0606

A lot of folks say twist the tube but I dont, I twist the blank. Twisting the blank keeps that drip running down the end on the tube and going in the hole instead of dripping on your table.

Pretty much the same thing isn't it? Just using your opposite hand. It's like tightening the nut instead of tightening the bolt
Just sayin' :biggrin:

Last edited:

darthintel

I'm new to this but this is how I do it:

1. Lightly sand the brass tubes
2. Mix the 5 min epoxy
3. Using wooden stir stick, glob epoxy into the blank and spread it around and half way down
4. Spread another glob of epoxy into the other end / half way down the blank
5. Place brass barrel on insertion tool and coat it lightly with epoxy
6. Insert brass barrel into blank while twisting the blank
7. Remove insertion tool after ensuring brass barrel is in far enough
8. Using wooden stick, wipe out the epoxy that entered the tube after insertion.
9. Scrape off excess epoxy from insertion end
10. Allow cure time
11. Using barrel trimmer, hone out the tube and trim to length

Works well for me.

"If your not turning, you're not learning"

GoatRider

Darth, I do pretty much the same thing except instead of a wooden stick, I use a small painter's palette knife. It's more controllable and reusable.

I do like the idea of using a wax plug, I have to try that next time I have some wax left over from waxing my snowboard.

Justturnin

A lot of folks say twist the tube but I dont, I twist the blank. Twisting the blank keeps that drip running down the end on the tube and going in the hole instead of dripping on your table.

Pretty much the same thing isn't it? Just using your opposite hand. It's like tightening the nut instead of tightening the bolt
Just sayin' :biggrin:

Well I would say no it is not the same. When I push the tube in the epoxy builds on the blank and drips down leaving the top w/ less epoxy than the bottom,so I twist the blank to keep that drip runnin towards the tube and not the table. If I simply twist the tube the drip still runs down, drips on the table and that epoxy is lost. This way I can use less epoxy and get more in the tube and less on the table. I am sure you can hold the blank different ways to prevent this but this is what I do.

Just sayin':biggrin:

Last edited:

Joe Burns

I switched to 5-min epoxy from CA and havent had a problem with it.

1. Sand the tubes.
  2. Use plumbers putty to close the ends
  3. Mix only enough to glue one or two tubes at a time.
  4. Rotate half of the tube in the epoxy and use a small stick to spread and add more glue as needed.
  5. Slide and position the tube in the blank.
  6. Let it dry and cure it completely before placing in the lathe.
I tend to drill and glue up the 3 or 4 sets of blanks early in the week and turn on Saturday. No failures yet.

Joe

Mickey

I tamp a small piece of paper towel down into one end of the tube with a piece of dowel. Then insert the tube into the epoxied blank paper towel end first and then punch out the wad of paper towel. It works very well, is simple and cheap.

Last edited:

Chasper

Thanks,

Scott

I hate using epoxy for batch turning as well. That's why I only use epoxy occasionally. If I have a large batch to make I use CA. I've made many thousands of pens with CA and can only remember 2-3 times when the tube broke loose. I don't sand the tubes, I don't put putty in the ends of them. Just squirt a couple lines of thick CA in the blank, put more on the tube, twist and push/pull in in and out a couple times, hit it with accelerator and it is ready to square the ends in 10 minutes. Epoxy? Why?

3thumbs

drill bit size?

I have used Gorilla glue, and CA both with success, but I have three different drill sizes for different types of pens, and all of them seem to yield a sloppy fit. I have only turned about a dozen pens so far, but I think they should have a more tight fit.

BSea

About the only thing I can add to what has been said is to use plenty of glue. It's cheap compared to everything else that goes into a pen. I think all the tubes that I've had come loose were due to not enough glue.

Oh and one other small tip. If your wife likes candles as much as mine, just take the wax from candles she is going to toss. Heat the wax, and pour onto wax paper. don't make it too thick, it doesn't take much. I probably have enough to do at least 200 pens.

Justturnin

About the only thing I can add to what has been said is to use plenty of glue. It's cheap compared to everything else that goes into a pen. I think all the tubes that I've had come loose were due to not enough glue.

Oh and one other small tip. If your wife likes candles as much as mine, just take the wax from candles she is going to toss. Heat the wax, and pour onto wax paper. don't make it too thick, it doesn't take much. I probably have enough to do at least 200 pens.

Great Tip!!!!!

ALA

Scott[/quote]

I hate using epoxy for batch turning as well. That's why I only use epoxy occasionally. If I have a large batch to make I use CA. I've made many thousands of pens with CA and can only remember 2-3 times when the tube broke loose. I don't sand the tubes, I don't put putty in the ends of them. Just squirt a couple lines of thick CA in the blank, put more on the tube, twist and push/pull in in and out a couple times, hit it with accelerator and it is ready to square the ends in 10 minutes. Epoxy? Why?[/quote]

Sounds simple enough. But how do you get all the glue out of the tube afterwards? I'm very interested in this topic because I have had several break loose.

OOPS

I don't use epoxy at all any more. I take a small Tupperware container and fill it with water. I quickly dunk my blank into the water to get some moisture down the drilled hole. Then I take a pre-scratched brass tube, and put 3-4 lines of Sumo (poly) glue on the tube. As I insert it into the blank, I rotate the tube, as if I was screwing it into the blank. The added moisture assists the Sumo, insuring a tight fit. I have yet to have a loose tube using this method. I let it sit overnight, and the water does not cause problems with the wooden blanks either.

kovalcik

I have used both epoxy and CA. It really does not matter which one you use, the important thing is to make sure that the hole is the right size and that you get full glue coverage on the tube. If the hole is too big or flares out and leaves voids, then the glue job will fail whether you use epoxy or CA. Poly may save you since it fills those voids, but if you are getting failures, you need to address the root problem whether it is glue coverage or drilling problems.

There have been several good replies addressing the glue coverage issue. For drilling make sure your drill press or lathe is aligned, your bits are straight, and that you are clearing the chips from the hole frequently. Address those issues, and I think your problems will be resolved.

pianomanpj

If you don't have any plate wax (or candle wax!) or plumber's putty handy, you can always use a slice of potato. Simply slice a potato about an eighth of an inch thick or so, and push the end of the brass tube into it leaving a core of potato inside one end. Make sure to wipe the brass clean after! You can plug many tubes quickly for batch gluing in almost no time at all! The potato comes out clean after glue up.

kovalcik

"Sounds simple enough. But how do you get all the glue out of the tube afterwards?"

Rat tail file. Few swipes and all is clear. I don't make that many at a time, so usually I don't bother with the wax/play doh/putty.

Last edited:

ctubbs

I am a packrat, there, I said it. Way back when, we were covered up with useless CD's and as I burned CDs myself, many of them just would not work. They were bound to be good for swomething so I now have hundreds of bad CDs lying around. I finally found a good use for them, they make excellent epoxy mixing pads! I stich the tube just cleaned in a solvent on an insertion tube, roll the tube in my epoxy mix and slide it into the blank after putting a small bit of epoxy in the other end of the blank. 5 minute for just 3-4 blanks, 15 or longer for production glueing. Just make sure not to starve the glue. Much better to clean up dripping epoxy than have the tube spin later. DAMHIKT All the above advice works well. Find what works for your situation and do that.
Charles

Top Bottom