I feel dumb sometimes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

I started on a cartridge pen order yesterday so I went with the Antler first since it stinks so much (keeps everyone away lol) and it took me 2 hours to turn it! I would get a catch and it would stop spinning from a little shaving, I had epoxied these all and have never had epoxy come loose and let the blank spin. I tried to turn the blank on the shaft and the whole mandrle turned so back to work I went, same dang problem. I took the blank off and tried to see if maybe the tube was loose, nope so back I went making sure everything is snug and cool I was able to cut some material away and then the same dang thing started again so I went and showed some patience and a few choice words and actually got it done. Now this is the part where I almost lost it, I unscrewed the nut and pulled off the bushing and then pulled off the balnk and the fricking tube stayed on the shaft, I couldn't believe it that was what was giving me all the issues and I checked it but there it was sitting there and grinning at me I know ir was. I was so mad and about to say the heck with antler till I saw this. Anywasy I got it on the tube and glued it again and everythign is cool. 3 more antler tops and I am done now, on to the wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

Oh yeah I think because I went through the center the marrow soaked the epoxy in and only left a little to hold it. That is the only thing I can think of because all the other pieces held and they were drilled a little off center, but who knows maybe it was a fluke (or Murphy I hate that guy) lol. I definetly need a woodchuck though hopefully soon.

bitshird

I try not to use Antler :biggrin: but it does go awfully good with cartridge pens, I had a processing plant give me 40 small racks this last season, even a few with 4 points per side, Out west in Nevada and Utah we called these 4 pointers, back here they become an 8 point buck, first time I heard that I nearly busted out laughing. Man it does reek up a shop though best thing is plane some Camphor or Cedar it helps kill the smell.

Seer

I have 2 fans that blow any smell out the garage door so I really have no issues with the smell except for the first time loml was none too happy then lol but I have fixed that with the fans and the 4 pointer in Nevad yep I know what you mean lol must be an east coast west coast bragging thing.

SteveG

Jerry
You mentioned Murphy (Murphy's Law). Looks like that law may have been applied here:redface: But are you aware of O'Brien's Law? O'brien, in his law stated: "Murphy was an optimist":eek: Which ever law it was, I am glad you got thru it!

OKLAHOMAN

Antler smells like perfume:rolleyes: compared to what I've been doing today, cutting Gator jaw bone. Had to come into the house to get away from it for a while:biggrin:...

Man it does reek up a shop though best thing is plane some Camphor or Cedar it helps kill the smell.

I have 2 fans that blow any smell out the garage door so I really have no issues with the smell except for the first time loml was none too happy then lol but I have fixed that with the fans and the 4 pointer in Nevad yep I know what you mean lol must be an east coast west coast bragging thing.

PTownSubbie

Antler smells like perfume:rolleyes: compared to what I've been doing today, cutting Gator jaw bone. Had to come into the house to get away from it for a while:biggrin:...

Was that a gloat in disguise Roy? :biggrin::biggrin:

I guess you must have found some after all.....

Freethinker

Man it does reek up a shop though best thing is plane some Camphor or Cedar it helps kill the smell.

I've never had an antler to smell really terrible.......I get a lot of requests for Bethlehem Olive Wood, and to me it stinks worse than anything else I have turned.

It turns and polishes beautifully, but I have to use something to cover the odor.

bitshird

I've never had an antler to smell really terrible.......I get a lot of requests for Bethlehem Olive Wood, and to me it stinks worse than anything else I have turned.

It turns and polishes beautifully, but I have to use something to cover the odor.

Odd isn't it, I love the smell of BOW, it makes me want to grab some cream cheese, Ritz crackers and a big jar of Kalamata Olives or even the Green Queen Olives with Pimento Yuummmmm!!!!

Top Bottom