I blew it !! My first Majestic JR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penturner63

Just turned my first Majestic JR. Was going to be a nice one. Then when I was putting it together,I didn't put that theaded plastic piece in the cap section.I clued the clip section in so that won't come apart. Any ideas how to pull out the center section without wrecking it? I loved making this pen untill I messed it all up. Thank you,Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you have Harbor Freight punches, use the biggest one that will fit up from the centerband and whack it (the cap top) a couple times.

CA will break it's grip if you hit sharply, but if you hit in just the center, the finial will go halfway across the room, with the clip and retainer still in place.

Make someplace for the pieces to land, so they don't bounce too far (DAMHIKT)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You COULD also drip some acetone in the top to loosen the glue. I don't like doing this, cause you never know what it will do to the plating.

nava1uni

Use CA solvent, which is not as reactive. Drip it into the cap and let it sit for a while the use the transfer punch to knock it out. I think that patience is very important in taking pens apart. I seem to do a better job if I walk away, think about it and then come back and whack it. LOL.

fishlux

An easy way to help "break" ca, is to chill it. Put it in the freezer for a couple of hours. CA is not good with impact anyway, cold makes it more brittle.

Lux

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
By the way, if you have a few balloons around the house, you can put one over the cap. Then, it will catch the parts that fly.

I wack them apart all the time, your not the first to do that ;) Even with CA just a couple of good wacks it comes apart try that first before resorting to thinner and possibley ruining your finish. hold the barrel in your hand and wack the punch the baloon or a rag below is a must the cap will go flying.

candy1land

I second that....the balloon idea is GREAT!! I'm getting ready to take apart a Majestic Jr and a Jr. Gent so I can re-finish the cracked CA and I'm most worried about taking out the plastic piece in the cap.

RDH79

Ive taken afew apart. Just give it a few good hits with the punch. Now the plastic part he is taking about I have broke 2 of them trying to take the other end apart. They are on the Jr Gents. I called CSUSA but they do not have any. Now I have 2 kits that are worthless. Does anybody have a couple from damaged kits? I would gladly buy them. Thanks

ldb2000

The easiest and safest way to soften the CA or epoxy for that matter is heat . Take a hair dryer and set it on high heat and WARM the finial for about five min , then use the transfer punch and give it a couple of shots and it will come right out . Get the finial heated to where you can still hold it but not burn yourself . Concentrate the heat on the finial so you don't soften the glue bond on your tube . If you overheat the barrel and the tube breaks loose just let it cool down and glue the tube back in .
I love the balloon idea , great idea Ed !!!

fernhills

Doesn't anyone else grind the protruding tip off of their transfer punches so that the finial doesn't go flying off by itself?

Doesn`t anyone realize you may need that point for something one day. I punch em out into a latex glove, more handy, never could find a balloon in my tool box. I just love taking the cap end apart. ARGGGGG. Carl

Top Bottom