How do you fix a stylus?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chris99210

I had a return of a PSI stylus as the rubber tip split and came apart. This is the older stylus where the tip is press-fit, not threaded. The clip end is also press fit. I just want to replace the tip but am struggling with how to remove the pressed-on tip ring without damaging other parts (I don't care about the ring and tip, I'll just press on a replacement). I may have to grasp the ring with needle nose pliers and just pull, but before I do that I thought I'd see if anyone else has had to do the same fix.

Thanks,
Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

That's the only way I can think of. Luckily even if you damage the end of the blank in the process you can just shorten it ... Unlike a pen it's length isn't critical.
I don't know if they offer the threaded press in bushing with the threaded replacement tip or not ? I know CSUSA doesn't. I emailed them asking them to consider adding it as I would much rather retro the old style to the newer version for the very reasons your discovering.
I do know of a source for them if you need it send me a PM.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Probably not a big issue if you could get the clip end off and use a end punch to remove the tip, right? Here's how I did it. Took a 1 1/2 inch putty knife, folded a layer of cloth over it to protect the pen barrel, slipped it under the clip and up to the top of the clip. I hit that sucker with a mallet, loosened and removed the clip and finial. Hee Hee! NOW you can use your end punch and remove the stylus tip. :biggrin: I sure hope you did not c/a or loc-tite the finial! :mad:

chris99210

That's a great idea - I didn't use CA so if I can get the clip end off I can upgrade with the screw in tip. I have a second stylus my wife uses and that tip is also torn; seems to be a typical problem.

Chris

Randy Simmons

I have had this problem as well. I used some soft-grip pliers to grab the body, and needle nose pliers to wiggle the tip out. It might take you awhile, but I think it is the least damaging way to get the tip out. Of course, make sure you replace it with an interchangeable tip.

Randy

Rodnall

It's not easy, but I hold the pen tightly and use a long punch to knock it out. It takes quite a few hits with a mallet before it comes out because the pen wants to slide out of your hand when you hit the punch. The plus side is you don't mark up the pen.

Lenny

It's not easy, but I hold the pen tightly and use a long punch to knock it out. It takes quite a few hits with a mallet before it comes out because the pen wants to slide out of your hand when you hit the punch. The plus side is you don't mark up the pen.

I am not sure I follow you. If I understand which stylus kit we are talking about here, you have a cap and clip on one end and the older style stylus tip on the other. That type of stylus end, at least in the ones I am familiar with, has a solid metal end that the stylus gets pressed on to. I don't see how you can get a punch in there.
If as was suggested, you could pry the cap/ clip off, then sure ... Punch it out. However, I still think locking on to the stylus end with pliers and wriggling/ pulling it off is the best bet. You don't care about damaging it because you are going to replace it anyway. I would be afraid of chipping the blank when prying the cap off. Like I said in my first post, if you damage the bottom,stylus end, you can just shorten it a little as it is not length specific like a pen would be. Jmo

Top Bottom