How to cut up a burl....Advise needed...(pics)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DKF

A friend of mine brought this Oak Burl back from the Sacramento foothills today....tree has been down and dead for 3 years or so. How should I go about cutting? Any special way, (orientation) or should I just begin taking slices? Thanks for any and all help.

edit...what an idiot I am.....forgot to post the photo...

20082183228_IMG_1572.jpg

200821832239_IMG_1573.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

Don, A photo would help.

Use a cradle with either a chain saw or band saw. Normally just thick slices, then oversize blank it out. Don't forget some bottle stopper size blanks.

Nolan

Don hop over the hill and I will mill it up for you, for a blank or two or three or four or you get the idea ;) Or just get advice and leave me out ;-(

On a serious note Don just figure out what direction the major portion of the burl grew and cut perpendicular (90*) to that. Basically you want a cross section of the direction of growth. Make sense? PM me if you want.

rlharding

Don, you don't say what size it is or what you intend to use it for. My guess would be 12x5. You could cut a slice out - 12x2 and make a small platter, 12x 3 1/2 make a bowl. You could also process it all for stoppers and pens. I would cut either stopper size slices or pen slices based on that. And keep the last bit because it could be the perfect fit to repair the hole you may blow out of the bottom of a small box. Been there, done that.

redfishsc

Even after 3 years that burl may not be totally dry, depending on it's thickness.

Personally I'd measure the width and the length--- figure which one is closest to 5.5-6.5" long (or a interval thereof, like 11-13") to get the best pen "blankage". Not a good idea to cut slabs that are 8" long and have 2" of drop every blank you cut (unless you make a TON of Sierras[B)]).

Anyhow, figure out which length will give you the best yield of 5.5-6.5" blanks, and slice it flat face DOWN on the bandsaw. Make your first cut as straight as possible. Begin cutting slabs 7/8" to 1" thick or so, and once you cut the thing into slabs, lay the slabs on their freshly-cut side and cut them same direction into blanks.

Use a T-sled on the saw or a miter saw to square up the ends.

Once all done, CAREFULLY pack them all in a flat-rate box (be sure to wrap them in newspaper so they don't crack if they are still wet) and mail them all to ME.[}:)]

Top Bottom