holly ens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

owlelope

I have a couple holly pen blanks. Is the ca glue the best finish for holly to hold it's color? If not, what is the best way to finish them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Here is a Holly and Gabon ebony pen that was finished with 8 coats of med CA. It has kept its white color but I have learned a little secret since I made this one and have not put it to the test yet but have a pen in the works. The secret is to bleach the Holly. I turn to just about the proper size and then stick in some wood bleach. As I said I have not finished this pen yet but have tested with CA and it does keep the material even whiter when bleached.

IMGP0881.jpg

IMGP0892.jpg

plantman

I have a couple holly pen blanks. Is the ca glue the best finish for holly to hold it's color? If not, what is the best way to finish them?

:rain: I have heard of some people dipping holly in bleach after turning to whiten them. I never tried it myself. I know from using it that CA will darken holly. I will use a water based poly ( hydrocoat ) to seal it before applying CA. If not sealed the CA usuauly turns it a bone or ivory color. I am sure someone else may have a better way of keeping it white. Jim S

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I made three or four pens with CA finish. Gave a couple to some friends in the service, and have one for myself. It is still holding up well after four years.

Attachments

• IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 184

jttheclockman

:rain: I have heard of some people dipping holly in bleach after turning to whiten them. I never tried it myself. I know from using it that CA will darken holly. I will use a water based poly ( hydrocoat ) to seal it before applying CA. If not sealed the CA usuauly turns it a bone or ivory color. I am sure someone else may have a better way of keeping it white. Jim S

Waterbased poly will dull the white also. Tried it. :)

Top Bottom