Help with wood identification

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jarod888

I purchased some blanks about 4.5 or 5 years ago. I have had them stored ever since then. I decided the other day to get them out so I could work on on turning different wood species.

I saved the original orders from ebay for most of the blanks with the exception of a few. I took some pictures with my cell phone and then corrected them for color in photoshop. I tried to get the most accurate representation of color as I could, so I fixed the hue and saturation. I also combined a few images into one so that there was a picture of both the end grain and the face grain.

I would appreciate any and all help anyone can provide.

Wood Sample 1
pck5g.jpg

Wood Sample # 2

f823m.jpg

Wood Sample # 3

ldub4.jpg

Again, thanks for any help!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

#3 black palm , #2 if it is very hard and heavy probably lignum vitae , #1 If you could sand the end grain to about 320 grit and get a better focused picture , it might help . Chestnut generally less dense than red oak in my experience , but could be something totally different .

Jarod888

I took a better picture of the first one today. I raised the grain with some water. I don't think it is oak or chestnut, as I have both of those species.

Thanks for all the help.

yxxj8.jpg

Last edited:

Jarod888

One remote possibility below . Do you remember what criteria you used to determine what to buy 4-5 years ago ? It might jog your memory .

Exotic Wood shedua

No. I didn't really have any criteria, I just bough stuff I thought looked cool. I really didn't know what I was doing, as is evident by the 50+ of very common species blanks which don't have any grain. I thought they were a good deal because they we 10 or 15 dollars with a low shipping cost. I also thought that It would take me a long time to learn how to make pens, so I would need a lot of test pieces.
Just as an example here is one of the boxes. It contains Oak and White Hickory.

gry3q.jpg

I just dont know what I am going to do with all of them. I was thinking that they would make good donation pieces, but just don't know.

Back to the earlier question. Yesterday I stopped by Paxton Woodworks and asked a few of the guys there what they thought No1 was. Their conclusion is that it is Jatoba. It looked very similar to the Jotoba they had, so I buy that.

Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited:

TerryDowning

Possible uses for plain blanks.

use for segmenting as a contrasting color. (a lot of segmenting)

make a segmented bowl. lots of instruction around the internet for this. Google is your friend.

Use as packing/filler material in PITH events.

Pens for the troops.

You can also make these more interesting by using stain, dyes, ebonizing, wood burning, engraving, etc.

Lots of uses available, lots of experimenting too, if that's your thing.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Terry

Chris Bar

I have some bocote that is similar in grain to #1. And I think you will find that #1 makes prettier pens (or pens of more character, as you wish), than either of the other two.

Top Bottom