Help Understanding Refills - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Default Help Understanding Refills

Can anyone help me understand the different terminology used when discussing refills? I've seen mention of cross, Parker, Schmidt, etc. I think some of those are brands and some are styles?

My reason for asking is that I haven't been very happy with the ballpoint refills that come standard with the kits. It feels like I make a nice quality pen but it doesn't write well! I would like to purchase some nicer refills but obviously need to understand the terminology first so I can be sure to get the right style and quality.
ghansen4 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-28-2018, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 60

Cross is a brand name .... and also used loosely as a style

Parker is a brand name .... and also used loosely as a style

Schmidt is a brand name .... can be in the style of Parker ballpoint or can be a rollerball which has different geometry

Your best non-Parker brand, but Parker compatibles are "Schmidt" and "Private Reserve", but within those alternative brand names you also have model numbers so you have to select which model you want with price as a guide to quality ... my opinions here.

This is my opinion only. There are "Dayacom" brand Parker-like refills; these tend to be considerably better than the generic Parker-like refills that come with many kits from the largest vendor. . Dayacom refills come with the Dayacom pen kits which are also a superior quality pen kit ... I do not think you can buy Dayacom refills separately from their kits but I stand to be corrected on this.

Dayacom pen kits are my go-to where possible but there are some exceptions.

Some of the vendors, one in particular, have their own house-brand kits manufactured to their own specs and, in general, these are very good also and they come in vendor-specific kit names which you have to get used to.

While some vendors tell you up-front that they are selling Dayacom kits, other vendors do not ..... so be sure to ask if you are concerned about quality in the kits you buy. There are plenty of no-name-brand kits on the market and you have to be savvy/careful.

It is sometimes hard to tell what exactly you are buying because names of kits get changed by some vendors and kit names also get made up by some vendors.

Even some Dayacom kits get sold by different vendors under a variety of names.
It is not practical to buy directly from Dayacom because of the large Minimum Order Quantity (MOQ) that they require, but you can look on their (somewhat hard to use) website at Dayacom.com to get an idea of what they manufacture although not all of their products are stocked by vendors we most frequently have access to here.

Hope this helps. . There are some vendor forums on IAP and you should also consult those forums ... highly recommended ... see the little dark blue boxes at the top of this page.

I realize that I have gone beyond the scope of your question; it is hard to talk about refills without talking a bit about kits.

You can google "ballpoint pen refills"; you can search the websites of many pen companies; it can become overwhelming.

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

Last edited by magpens; 03-28-2018 at 11:13 PM.
magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-28-2018, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Have no idea what Mal said and where he was going. He started out correct and on point.

This may help and it is in the library
http://content.penturners.org/librar...ison_guide.pdf

A link, many threads on refills in the search mode here. Too many to list for you. Type in Differences between refills. So many different names now it is hard to know what is what. But size of refill can be a good starting point but be careful because some refills are China imports and can be of different lengths for certain kits. It is a jungle out there.

what refill is what?

What is your opinion of who makes the best Pen refills ?

Not sure what kits you are referring to but many of the kits I use today the refills that come with the kit is not bad at all. I give a person the choice at a show if they want to switch as I let them write with different refills. Also weather they want blue or black. Never kept score on that one.

Last edited by jttheclockman; 03-29-2018 at 12:01 AM.
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2018, 02:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 1

A very clear statement re refills etc can be found on Beaufort in the UK who also have an agent of strength in the USA.

Peter.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you, Peter. . It is good to know about that. . I am sure the OP will appreciate your info as well.

You are always so constructive and helpful in your suggestions and comments, Peter !
Thank you for that too !

Last edited by magpens; 03-29-2018 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Has any tried the Schmidt Capless refills?

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default refills

What I did when I was making pens of all shapes and sizes was to open an account with Exotic Blanks as they seemed to have the largest variety of materiels. Good people to talk to and do business with. I always included the best refills with the pens I sold to avoid possible problems. While there are other dealers who also carry top of the line materiels, and I suggest you look up all the vendors if that is your "thing".
Old 04-01-2018, 12:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Schmidt also makes a Cross-style refill

Schmidt also makes a Cross-style refill, the C 600 M, under the Private Reserve brand. Excellent refill.
Roger Schlenz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Schlenz View Post
Schmidt also makes a Cross-style refill, the C 600 M, under the Private Reserve brand. Excellent refill.

I have asked Schmidt no less than five times--they make NO Cross-style refills!
Old 04-01-2018, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Really, Ed ? I believe you. I understand it's a matter in your interest to know. But... what do you make of this ... ?

http://www.lanierpens.com/Schmidt_C6...scc600blue.htm

and this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Ink-S...-/181823538139

and this

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Schmidt.../dp/B00KB8KO2K

and this

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Schmidt...ews/B00KB8KO2K

I see that there are no customer reviews so it must be a fake ad on the part of amazon, or maybe it is meant to be an all-encompassing ad title and the content has never been completely fleshed out.

Last edited by magpens; 04-01-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads