Help with turning river Buffalo Horns

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marker

Hello, I need some tips on turning river buffalo horns.

I have had one check in the past, how can I avoid this?

I need to make one sometime this week, I have it already to turn, I glued it with heavy ca Glue.

How should I Finnish them? should I wet sand them using MM?

I have heard people say that they need to put oil on their river buffalo horn pens regulatory in order to keep them from checking, what type of oil do they use? linseed? mineral oil?

would it help to keep them from checking if I were to put wax on them? What about sealing them with a ca Finnish?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marker

I just turned, and polished some for a Jr Gentlemen's II

I had no problems turning them, However I am not happy with the results. I didn't think that they would be transparent in places. I didn't paint the tube, so now you can see the brass tubes in places. Other than that they turned out nice.

So I think I will just try to talk my friend into a different material for his pen.

Thanks anyway.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 331
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 490
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 246

GaTurner83

The main cause for of Buffalo horn checking or cracking is heat build up from drilling and turning.One trick I have used is to soak the horn in water over night prior to working it.This helps to soften the horn slighlty. As well as making it easier to drill.While drilling use water to lube the drill bit every so often to keep the heat done.A CA finish may help but the horn can still crack under the finish.

Rick P

Lubricate the bit as you drill, go slowly! Heat is your enemy. I would not soak horn as it can get too soft if your not careful. Horn is made out of the same thing as fingernails, chiton so it will be translucent. No need to do more than polish it.

toyotaman

The brass tube does kinda kill it a little. I never paint my tubes but I think its time to start. I guess you never know when you will have see through spots on pens. That's a bummer I know.

Marker

Thanks for the help.

I talked my friend into a Jr Gentlemen's II with Black Tru-Stone, instead of this river buffalo horn.

Thanks

sbell111

I treat buffalo horn as if it were plastic. I be mindful of heat when I drill it, I paint the tubes, and I wet sand and polish.

Top Bottom