help picking new lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dohare

hey guys,
I am hoping to buy a new lathe. I am looking online at the Rikon 1/2HP Variable Speed Mini Lathe Model 1216 and Jet Mini Lathe with Indexing Head Variable Speed Model JML-1014IVS. Or should I also be looking at the non variable speed models? I will be going to the closest woodcraft store next weekend (which is 3 1/2 hours away). I am thinking I may get the Rikon, it is $100 cheaper and a little larger. Not sure if I would ever use the indexing head that the jet has or not.
I would appreciate your thoughts.
thanks
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wright

I have a Delta 46-460 and love it! Bought it in April of this year and have had no trouble with it. I love the reverse for sanding.

woodwzrd

I have the Rikon 70-100 (non variable) and the 70-050vs (same as the 1216) and they are both top notch machines. The belt change on the 100 is quick and easy and it has an indexing head like the Jet. Even though the variable is nice, I change speed ranges when I go from turning to sanding which still requires a belt change. If the two were only seperated by $20-$30 I would go with the variable model. Right now you can get the 70-100 on Amazon for $379 and if you sign up for the free prime membership trial you can get free 2 day shipping. The 70-050vs is $429 with the same shipping option. I think you would be very pleased with either model.

Last edited:

Bigj51

Buy the Jet. I just upgraded to the same VS indexing Jet you reference and absolutely love it!

AFB7166E-6FE1-475A-B876-0D7261632737-6952-0000035BACF52F19.jpg

Draconias

It depends on what you want to use the lathe for. If you are just going to turn pens, you can't beat the Jet mini. If you are going to turn larger items, you would want a lathe with a little more power and capacity. My wife and I each have one of the Jet minis, but we each also have a full size lathe for turning bowls and other larger items. For turning pens, we only use the minis.

Ron

BassBlaster

I'd like to upgrade as well. Ive done a lot of research and I'm gonna go with the Delta 46-460 when it comes time. It has a tn of nice features that the others dont have. Its a bit pricey but looks to be worth it. I also havnt read any reviews or comments from current 46-460 owners that say they wouldnt buy it again. Everyone that has it, loves it!

You didnt mention what else you do besides pens which could be a big factor iin what kind of lathe you should get.

dohare

hi guys,
thanks for the replies so far.
I haven't looked into the delta because it is out of my price range.
I turn pens,wine stoppers,ornaments,seam rippers and candlesticks so far. I want to get into some small bowls and pepper mills at some point as well.
thanks again

Top Bottom