Help, I'm stumped...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jedgerton

OK, so it doesn't take that much to stump me but...

At a recent show, a customer tried to post the cap of a Jr. Gent II but when they tried to remove the cap from the post, the metal cap that screws in just above the post stayed in the cap. I did find a way to remove the metal cap but now the problem is as follows:

When the post has the metal cap in place, the pen cap won't post. If the metal cap on the post is removed (threads are below the cap) the pen cap will post just fine.

Has anyone seen something like this? Is it a bad pen kit or is there an easy fix?

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
At a recent show, a customer tried to post the cap of a Jr. Gent II but when they tried to remove the cap from the post, the metal cap that screws in just above the post stayed in the cap. I did find a way to remove the metal cap but now the problem is as follows:

When the post has the metal cap in place, the pen cap won't post. If the metal cap on the post is removed (threads are below the cap) the pen cap will post just fine.

Trying to remember the parts .. memory isn't .. something something

If the metal post/cap is blocking the pen cap from posting, it would seem
like the plastic insert inside the centerband might have been damaged.
If it isn't round, any bend could stop it from posting. It could even stop
you from removing the cap from the pen.

I never had this problem on a Jr. Gent, but I did on two Jr. Statesmans
and CSUSA was kind enough to send two replacements. I still have one
left and you're welcome to it if you need it.

If you've got a small flashlight, check the inside of the pen cap and see
if the black plastic piece is bent at all. It doesn't take much .. but it
isn't easy to get out, either. (In fact, I had to destroy the cap to save
the kit..)

jedgerton

You've got all the parts right, and thanks. Upon further inspection, other Jr. Gents have no trouble posting with the troubled pen's cap. It looks like the small metal cap on the posting end of the pen is slightly larger than others. I'll confirm with my calipers.

John

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Y Upon further inspection, other Jr. Gents have no trouble posting with the troubled pen's cap. It looks like the small metal cap on the posting end of the pen is slightly larger than others. I'll confirm with my calipers.

I was going to ask if you had gotten a non posting end cap mixed with
a posting one .. but the sizes are different enough that the pen wouldn't
assemble. I wonder if it is from a different kit?:confused:

broitblat

The other thing I've seen is that the threaded plastic sleeve/insert, while not damage, was not seated all the way into the center band. This prevented the threads from engaging when posted. The nib end would still "post" as the threads extend further into the cap.

The one time I've seen this, I was able to fix it by removing the finial from the cap and the re-seating the insert from the finial end.

-Barry

GoodTurns

possibly left a bit o' glue inside the tube and when you pressed the sleeve in, it bowed inward....i have heard that this could happen, from a friend.....

Top Bottom