Has anyone turned black piano keys?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

I have some. I think they are Ebony, but they are extremely brittle. Thus far, I have succeeded in cracking every one I have tried to drill a 7mm hole through so I really have not actually turned any yet. If you're not trying to use them for a pen, or if your drilling skills are better than mine, go for it!

Charlie_W

Give it a try Ruth!
I too have piano keys. These are from an old piano from my parents house. The old upright needed more work than it was worth, no one wanted it, and the cabinet was just plain Jane with peeling chipped veneer.
I salvaged all the keys. I was thinking of segmenting the ivory with the Ebony.
Most likely won't be able to make anything larger than slims with these.
I also salvaged the two front turned spindles from below the keyboard. Thought they might come in handy for a shelf unit or something......or some candle holders.

JohnU

I've had both ebony and walnut piano keys. I think the older ones used ebony and the cheap models used some walnut with black stain. You'll know when you drill it. Walnut is much softer.

KenV

Have not seen any painted piano keys, but some were ebonized or stained to get a more uniform black.

I have only seen North American manufactured pianos though. I suspect there was not a thriving trade between the UK and North America because those instruments were heavy, heavy, heavy.

Key will be fresh sharpened drill bits, and the ebony will dull bits quickly. They will be dry/stable and cracking risk from moisture decreased. Heat is still to be avoided.

Drill with care

Last edited:

mecompco

Have not seen any painted piano keys, but some were ebonized or stained to get a more uniform black.

I have only seen North American manufactured pianos though. I suspect there was not a thriving trade between the UK and North America because those instruments were heavy, heavy, heavy.

Key will be fresh sharpened drill bits, and the ebony will dull bits quickly. They will be dry/stable and cracking risk from moisture decreased. Heat is still to be avoided.

Drill with care

I tried drilling perhaps half a dozen before I gave up. The Ebony is "sticky", even with a brand new bit. There is very little material, even for a small 7mm hole. I drill on the metal lathe at around 400 RPMs and no matter how careful I was, I always ended up with a crack down the side.

KenV

My experience has been generally successful but the flutes can pack quickly and the bit needs to be cleared often. Aggressive bits and self feeding can be a problem with very dense woods.

All the ebony I have is elderly and well acclimated to local conditions. Old ebony is very dense.

Existing cracks can hide well, and are not especially rare.

Bit should never exceed warm temperatures. Never hot to the touch.

Drill with care

I tried drilling perhaps half a dozen before I gave up. The Ebony is "sticky", even with a brand new bit. There is very little material, even for a small 7mm hole. I drill on the metal lathe at around 400 RPMs and no matter how careful I was, I always ended up with a crack down the side.

mecompco

An update. After giving up for a while, I decided to tackle the ebony piano keys again. Finally got two drilled. There is precious little "meat" left after drilling even a 7mm hole. Enough for a "slim", but I don't think there is enough left for even a "comfort" sized pen.

Here is the PSI Credit Card pen I finished. Finish is friction polish followed by a trip to the buffer for some caranuba wax.

mecompco

Update

Just an update on the little Credit Card pen shown above. Was re-arranging my pen display today and noticed that both barrels on this pen now have developed hair-line cracks. I think I'm pretty much done with Ebony piano keys--yes, you can drill a 7mm hole in them, and turn them, but at this point I wouldn't dare sell a pen made from them. :mad:

Regards,
Michael

KenV

Ebony loves to crack. I just repair and refinish it.

The pen I finished last week was an ebony as dark as a cow's stomach, but lots and lots of little cracks in the blank. Finished up looking quite nice and got all the cracking out of its system up front. The wood had been in the shop for about a decade.

howsitwork

impressive!

Got some old bowling balls (lignum vitae ). A challenge to cut up into blanks. Drill clogged like anything,peck drilling was the order of the day and boy did it take time !!!
Cleaned the holes with acetone before using araldite to glue tubes in. The bowl were at least 50 years old but even then ,after a few months one of the pens shrank and cracked. No need to finish just burnish with shavings and the natural oil looked good (but stank so left out for a few days to cure).

Charlie_W

Has anyone tried segmenting the Ebony with the ivory from the piano keys?
Might look sharp!:biggrin:.....better than looking flat!

Any ivory ban issues using keys from an old family piano?.....not planning on selling a pen like this nor shipping across state lines....just for a family gift.

jttheclockman

Any ivory ban issues using keys from an old family piano?.....not planning on selling a pen like this nor shipping across state lines....just for a family gift.

If I recall the ivory on piano keys is just a thin layer and is laminated to other woods. If you do it on your own for your own use who is to know. Better than throwing it out.:)

Charlie_W

If I recall the ivory on piano keys is just a thin layer and is laminated to other woods. If you do it on your own for your own use who is to know. Better than throwing it out.:)

Yup, just a slice of ivory. Segmented on an angle or scallops.....!

jttheclockman

Yup, just a slice of ivory. Segmented on an angle or scallops.....!

Your call. Whatever you decide I am sure will look good. Post photo.:)

Top Bottom