Has anybody thought about a wood humidor?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I live in central Georgia and have a shop in an underground garage. At any given time, the temperature and humidity take wild, off the chart swings.
I have collected many wooden blanks, whole burls, etc. and I need to protect them and keep the temperature and humidity as stable as possible.

I am thinking about building basically a giant "cigar" humidor for my wood that would have enough lights, heat and air conditioning and a thermostat to stablize temprature and a dehumidifier to provide consistency in humidity.

Anybody built anything like this? Any suggestions on where to start?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

Never built anything like that, but cigar/tobacco shops have large walk in rooms that are basically large humidors. You may talk to some cigar afficionados for some tips...

JimB

I believe there was a previous thread on this and someone pointed out it was not a good idea becuase the wood needs to adapt to its natural surroundings. If you store it in something like this then what happens when you take it out to use it? Will it warp, crack and do other things? Better to know before you make something with it.

Of course, I could be total wrong about what I (think I) remember.

PenMan1

I guess my real question is "what is the perfect temperature and humidity level for storing wood"? I'm thinking about building basically a small "wine celler for wood". I would think about 68-72 degrees and about 20 -30 percent humidity in the room?

stolicky

I believe there was a previous thread on this and someone pointed out it was not a good idea becuase the wood needs to adapt to its natural surroundings. If you store it in something like this then what happens when you take it out to use it? Will it warp, crack and do other things? Better to know before you make something with it.

Of course, I could be total wrong about what I (think I) remember.

I think you are on to something.

knifecut

Seems a sealed tuperware type container would do to keep the humidity constant.

Maybe line the bottom with paper towels (or silica packets), set a rack over that, and place your blanks on the rack.

fernhills

I know there was some beautiful old growth lumber, always being found in 18th century barns in great shape. I would say in a loft in a shed, or garage, So long as there was ventilation. Carl

snyiper

Might try to score a large walk in freezer a store is discarding. I know we have scored 4 for free for deer camp. they are pretty large 6x8x10 and we use a window shaker to cool. They break down by the walls and easy to transport!!!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Don't overthink things. Get a dehumidifier for your underground garage/shop. This will keep the humidity down so that your wood will have a better chance to dry in your shop. They are available at Lowe's and similar stores.

Wildman

If you experience a lot of rust on machine surfaces get a dehumidifier. If pipes, heating-cooling ducts drip water insulate them. Would not worry about wood because it will gain and lose water based upon relative humidity.

My small outdoor shop is neither heated nor air-conditioned. The average annual relative humidity for my area is 85% AM and 57% PM. Certain times of the year can have humidity higher than temperature. Have more problems with cleaning rust off machines. Do store a lot of wood that is end sealed and some not.

If you absolutely must do something get an old refrigerator, drill a hole in the top, stick a wire install a light bulb and fan. Can do the same thing making a box out of plywood. You can get fancy and put light and fan on a timer too!

PenMan1

The size of the shop is 52' X 36' with 12' ceilings. Three sides are underground with garage roll up doors on the exposed end. In the summer months here the humidity averages between 85 -100 percent and the average temperature is close to 100 degrees. Yesh, :) there is problems with cleaning rust from tools! It is a daily job in the summer. The room also has 2 maytag dehumidifiers running constantly from Feburary - November. Additionally 2 1100 CFM dust filters running on timers to keep the air circulating. The noise level is deafening even before dust collection or tools are turned on. I was thinking about setting up this little wine cellar that I removed for this guy's house and popping a small ptac (through wall heat pump system) in the wine cellar That gives me 960 cubic feet of controlled humidity and temp regulation. Additonally, but putting one dehumidifier behind glass, I could at least get the noise level down so I can hear the TV or stereo.

Top Bottom