Hairy Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

53Jim

Hi gang,
In the Show Off section there is a thread about Hairy Oak from Australia. My questions are these...

Is this wood a common wood down their (like OUR oak & maple);

Can wood be shipped out of the country without problems from customs?

The reason I ask is my mother has a pen pal in Aussie Land, and I might be able to persuade her to send me some of that fantastic looking wood.

Thanks for the (future) info,

Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I can answer a few of the questions, but our Aussie members can better answer the rest. I get Aussie wood from Mark (youngturner) without any problem. I've also done several trades with Serge (Darley), also without incident. Lee Tannenbaum (leetrees) sells loads of Aussie wood that he imports. Getting wood OUT of Australia is much easier than getting it in. They have LOADS of restrictions on imports and every parcel is inspected.

As for hairy oak being common, I'm having a difficult time locating any significant source, although it doesn't seem to be a rare specie according to a search of the net. Good luck!

youngturner

There is no problems with sending wood into the US but finding hairy oak will be a bit harder! I have had a few bits here and there but just had a quick look and couldnt find any blanks unfortunately. I have attached a pic of a pen i made with it and also a jewellery box made by my Grandpa.

20054223363_Hairy%20oak.jpg
<br />

200542233918_hairyoak3.jpg
<br />

youngturner

guys i just had a proper look through my stack of blanks and found a few hairy oak blanks that are about 5/8 " square so only good for slimlines i recon. I will put them in the classified section in the next hour or so just have to wait for my mum to get back with the camera. The other problem with getting hairy oak is that is has so many flaws in it bark inclusions mainly but i have got a few here that are clean.

Mark.

AdamB

that is a really pretty wood, wonderfull contrast.

I wonder what that would look like cut on the bias for a pen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom