Great score today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtparso

I got a nice 3 point elk rack from a friend. My question is; the main trunk is 1.2 inches in diameter just past the web of the first point. I know if I split the trunk I will get hard antler on one side and porous antler on the other side. Any of you that works with antler know is it possible to drill through half of the antler and turn it? Or should I just turn it down in one piece? BTW I think that the main trunk is thick enough to make a nice pen box and the other one will be a pen rack.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rtparso

I eat the steaks for dinner[:D] So will the tips work for pens[?] Hey I just discovered smiles a couple of days ago don't you floks hate nubies

Thumbs

Nope! We can hate most anybody except floks, nubies, and other penturners. Although exceptions have been made. Yep, I'm one, two!

Thumbs

<b>Gregory</b>, somebody was talkin' Bar-B-Que the other day. How 'bout we Bar-B-Que that elk? [}:)] Mmmm! Mmmm!

What d'ya say to that, <b>Ron</b>? [:p][:p][:p]

<b>Johnny</b>, wouldn't the tips work OK for him?

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Anyone shows up at my house with elk steaks or any cuts of elk.. you better believe I am going to be home...
I LOVE ELK... and bison, venison, bear, pronghorn, caribou, moose, and even the occassional woodchuck... LOL... all better for you than beef...
WHAT... you think I got this size just looking at food... LOL

J. Fred Muggs

Ron:
Elk antler makes beutiful pens. The lousy pictures below don't do them justice, but show a couple I've made recently. The third pic shows a watch made from a flat spot on an atypical elk rack. for the pens, use the tines. Use the larger main beams for watches, duck or deer calls, pen boxes and the like. I fill the really open porous parts of the antler with medium CA. The porous part of elk antler shows alot of red and blue color when cut. IMHO Elk is much prettier than Whitetail deer antler.

200542215621_elk%20pen%201.jpg
<br />

200542215656_elk%20pen%202.jpg
<br />

200542215729_elk%20watch%201.jpg
<br />

Remember: If the great scientists and artists who have gone before us believed those who said it couldn't be done, we wouldn't have computers and this website. Why, we wouldn't even have pens or a way to turn them. Never be afraid to experiment.[:D]

its_virgil

I must disagree with the comments about the elk antler being too large. Nothing personal, guys. It is very possible the antler will turn down to the marrow, which is porous. When you reach that stage, stop turning and fill with CA, and continue. Repeat the filling as necessary. Some of the most stricking antler pens I made were from larger elk antlers. And, I must add that the only antler blow outs l've had werer from antler. You can see some elk antler pens in my yahoo photo album at
http://www.tinyuurl.com/38hor .
If you want the all white bone look that maybe resembles ivory, then large elk antler will not work. Go with axis deer antlere. But, the larger elk with its purplish (bloody) color makes for a wonderful pen. I have a customer who buys about 10 antler pens a year and he insists on elk antler. Just my thoughts on elk antler. I have good luck selling all types of antler pens. Antler close to the head contains more bone.

Note: Try mounting the antler pieces between centers and getting them round before drilling. Also, Cut a piece of the antler in half and see how it looks with bone on one side and the porous antler on the other.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

rtparso

What’s wrong with black and white?[?] Ok I guess I will experiment with splitting the main trunk. I have a bottle of medium and a bottle of thin CA have used it before. But to alleviate the drooling action[:p] I did not kill the beast and I only got 1 steak and LOML DID NOT get a piece so you guys are out of luck (It was good)[:p]. I will kill a goat if anyone wants to come to Carlsbad for a BBQ (I cook a mean Mexican style goat[:0]).

rtparso

Well I see what you mean about pores in the elk. Out of the whole rack I think I will get about 4 pens. The main trunk is so porous that I can push a pencil into it I think it is way to porous to make pens. I am making a good pen stand out of some of the trunk and I am trying to think of good ideas for the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom