grain direction

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdoby

Has anyone tried turning a blank where the grain direction was 90 degrees to the length of the pen. I tried this trying to utilize a piece of scrap wood. The wood actually broke away from the tube. I had glued the blank on with CA glue. Was this due to the direction of the grain or a bad glue job? Any other thoughts or direction of grain would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudwrkr

Turning cross-cut grain is tricky, but you can get some awesome patterns that way. Here is a pen I just turned from some spalted oak that was cut at 90 deg:

2006312214854_Spalted%20Oak%20Sierra%20Front.jpg

Use sharp tools and light cuts and that will help keep the blank together. This blank had broken apart on me before I even drilled it, but as you can see, it was worth the trouble. [8D]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Both of these pens are made with the wood cross-grain at 90-degrees to the axis of the pen. Breakout can be a problem at the ends. Keeping it soaked with thin CA glue helps.

200631223207_PMG-5E.jpg

chigdon

I read somewhere on IAP about turning crosscut wood down with an 1/16" parting tool. It isn't a lot of fun but it really works. (A 1/8" parting tool does not work the same way)

Here is a Partridgewood pen I turned that way.

tn_Pheasantwood.jpg

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by gsdoby
<br />Has anyone tried turning a blank where the grain direction was 90 degrees to the length of the pen. I tried this trying to utilize a piece of scrap wood. The wood actually broke away from the tube. I had glued the blank on with CA glue. Was this due to the direction of the grain or a bad glue job? Any other thoughts or direction of grain would be appreciated.

it depends on the type of wood you are turning 90 degrees to the grain. i have had troubles turning zebra wood cross cut.
coco bolo is another wood that gives me troubles turning cross cut.
i found a board of cocobolo that had the rings(grain) in a semi cirle growth. i turned this 90 degrees and went wow!!!
the pen just was beautiful. sad thing is i sold the pen before i could take a picture of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom