Gluing tubes in closed end pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

I've drilled several blanks to turn closed end pens from. My question, knowing how I tend to use too much CA, is how do some of you that do a lot of closed end pens glue your tubes in? The couple of times I've made em I end up with a lot of glue pooling in the end of the pen. Seems no matter how little I use I end up with too much excess. Tips, tricks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I always use epoxy and since I only use about 1/2" of tube, I use VERY little epoxy.
What kind of CA are you using: think, medium or thick?

vick

I also use epoxy for closed ends. I put the glue pretty heavy near the bottom of the tube, insert with a twisting motion until it to where a little over a 1/4 inch is sticking out, wipe off the excess glue (so it does not get in the tube) and finish fully inserting it.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by pipeyeti

I have used CA and then shoot a little accelerator in the bottom and then drill it out again with a hand drill and a smaller bit.

Bingo! I'm with you on this method, except for the sissy hand drill part!! :D

redfishsc

Epoxy. Basically I just plunge the tube back and forth, twisting side to side (yes, the hokey-pokey). I then turn the blank so the light catches the inside and see how much of it is shiney (ie, where there is epoxy) if I doubt how much is in there.

As a side note, you can use a wooden skewer or Q-tip to pre-swab some glue inside the blank if you wanna be anal. I did this a few times and had to drill out the epoxy that caked up in the bottom end of the tube.

pipeyeti

Originally posted by wdcav1952

Originally posted by pipeyeti

I have used CA and then shoot a little accelerator in the bottom and then drill it out again with a hand drill and a smaller bit.

Bingo! I'm with you on this method, except for the sissy hand drill part!! :D
actally I was trying not to pass on my bad habit of holding the blank in my hand while using the drill press.:D

mrcook4570

A smaller hole must be drilled to accommodate the refill or converter, so after the glue (epoxy or pu) has cured, I drill it out.

Top Bottom