FP ink

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dachemist

I know someone else (Mikey) posted a ? on the best ink for use in FP's, but I have a different question so I took the liberty of making a new post. In the previous post there were a number of suggestions for a waterproof ink. However I need something "solvent proof". I realized a month or so ago the reason why I haven't won a Nobel yet is simply because I haven't been writing in my lab notebook with a FP. :D All the great chemists of old surely must have used a FP, therefore I need to as well. I've made a couple of Berea FP's (one assembled, holly, no finish, sort of a prototype) and one of African blackwood (that still awaits finishing). I've tried the ink that came with the kit (i.e. scribbled on a post it note and let it dry for a few days) and it worked fine. I ripped the paper into pieces and rounded up every squeeze bottle of solvent I had (water, methanol, ethanol, acetone, acetonitrile, methylene chloride, hexanes, ethyl acetate) that could possibly drip into my notebook. Not a single one of them "smeared" the ink when rubbed with a finger. There were a few that gave the paper around the writing a blue hue, but the lines remained crisp and clear. All of this would be great, except, the ink is blue. :( We can only use black ink in our notebooks.

I don't suppose any one happens to know what type of ink is included with the Berea kits? Or a "Name brand" equivalent (in black)?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Mike,
It's interesting that you can only use black ink. Blue is usually preferred for legal documents (or those that may become legal, such as your notebook) because the color can't be photocopied (unless you have a color copier).

dachemist

Thanks everyone! I'll give the Noodlers a shot. As luck would have it one of there dealers is only a few miles down the road from me.[:)]

Jim, you make a good point. It seems ironic that one of the reasons our corporate lawyer gave for using only black ink was for ease of photocopying. Perhaps the notebooks are kind of an exception because the pages are "permanently" bound together.

Thanks again.

Mikey

I second, or it it fourth by now the Noodlers ink suggestion. Bulletproof black is what they call it and there is pictures and data from a test that they did. (as well as others) I have found www.fountainpennetwork.com to be a big help and I have learned much about ink in a very short amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom