Forgot to order glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

I have wood, pen kits but i forgot to order glue.

Is there a glue that is recommended that i could pick up at lowes that i can use to glue the tubes into the blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MrPukaShell

Gorilla Glue, use the quick one that is clear. Make sure you put a rubber band around the blank to hold the tube in. Have seen the glue push the tube out a little when it expands.

monophoto

I routinely use polyurethane glue. Gorilla Glue is one brand - I've been using an Elmer's version. PU has the advantage that it expands to fill the gap between the blank and the tube.

Or you can use a two-part epoxy. It works very well, but is messier.

Rangertrek

Gorilla glue, I put a small line of glue on the tube and spread all around with a popsicle stick. Then, I use a qtip to moisten the inside of the blank. Insert tube with a twist motion. Place a rubber band or painter tape on tube ends incase the glue pushes the tube. It happened to me one time, so i do it all the time now. :)

GaryMGg

The price differences are so different between Monty (woodenwonders.com) and any BigBox, if I run out, I wait.
Shipping usually takes a few days but what a savings!

phillywood

Call Monty and he may be able to work with you to get the glue to you fast i got mine in two days before he went on vacation last. Lots of us get our glues form Monty. he is man of his words and very willing to help, I highly recommend him.

Willee

Gorilla Glue ... I use the small plastic brushes sold at harbor freight for $2 a bag to spread it in the hole and on the brass tube.

The glue will activate with the moisture in the wood.

Watch them for about 30 minutes to make sure the glue expanding does not push the tubes out of position.

I usually let them dry overnight but in a rush 5 hours will work.

its_virgil

The best choice(my opinion, of course) for glue to glue in pen kit tubes is two part epoxy. I use the 5 minute two part epoxy and have never had a problem. Several problems are possible using CA and polyurathane glue and they always seem to happen when you don't have the time for problems. Others will strongly disagree as to which glue is best and that is fine also.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I have wood, pen kits but i forgot to order glue.

Is there a glue that is recommended that i could pick up at lowes that i can use to glue the tubes into the blanks?

Lenny

For gluing tubes I have used Polyurethane (Gorilla or Sumo), and the 5 min. epoxy, but find lately I just want to use the epoxy. For me it is LESS messy than the poly glues (have you ever got that stuff on your hands):eek:
and it sets up (I give it at least 30 mins) fast enough that it doesn't seem much different than CA in that regard.
I quickly learned that CA glue is Not for me for gluing the tubes. I save it for finishing now. I was buying the Gorrilla glue brand at a local hardware store for just under $5 for 1/2 once. Monty sells 2 oz. for about the same price .... and it works better! :)

Call Monty and he may be able to work with you to get the glue to you fast i got mine in two days before he went on vacation last. Lots of us get our glues form Monty. he is man of his words and very willing to help, I highly recommend him.

I've evolved or maybe devolved into only buying glue from Monty... I send him an email/paypal payment on Monday and usually have the glue Wednesday or Thursday at the latest... usually the delay is the USPS not Monty.

Top Bottom