Flat Top Rollerball Screw Cap - American Style (Corinthian Band)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dexter0606

Has anyone ever made the Flat Top Rollerball Screw Cap - American Style (Corinthian Band) from Berea Hardwoods?I have a customer that wants a Roman style rollerball pen and chose this pen.Looking for some feedback.....good or badThanksJeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Has anyone ever made the Flat Top Rollerball Screw Cap - American Style (Corinthian Band) from Berea Hardwoods?I have a customer that wants a Roman style rollerball pen and chose this pen.Looking for some feedback.....good or badThanksJeff

I've made some, I don't like making them, but they sell quite well, to me the threads feel sloppy and rough, and they have a tendency to come unscrewed, I prefer the series 2000 American, but it still has the metal to metal threads and they still feel pretty loose.

GouletPens

If its the one I'm thinking of, add me to the hate list. The plastic section where you hold it gets scratched right away by the inside of the cap. It looks bad after a very short period of use. There's not really a version of this pen that's of any better quality, so I don't make any of them anymore.

bitshird

If its the one I'm thinking of, add me to the hate list. The plastic section where you hold it gets scratched right away by the inside of the cap. It looks bad after a very short period of use. There's not really a version of this pen that's of any better quality, so I don't make any of them anymore.

Brian, that's been one of my complaints, it's not as bad on the series 2000 but it's still not a great pen but I sell or was selling a bunch of them for around 50.00

GouletPens

There's something to be said for giving the customer what they want, but there came a point for me when my customers expected a higher quality from the components than what this pen offers. That's a judgement call that every pen seller has to make for themselves, because you are still putting your name on every pen and how that pen holds up will reflect on you, whether it's your fault or not.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Jeff,

I haven't made the pen because I don't care for the kit. That said, I would question allowing a selection of kits from which to choose if the list included pens I had never tried. A suggestion might be to find a selection of pen kits that you are comfortable making, and offer only these pens.

dexter0606

Thanks for the comments guys. I think I'll talk to Berea and see if I can come up with a solution. I posted this question on 3 sites and only received these two negative comments so I'm thinking it can't be all that bad. I've made a ton of the flat top double twists, this would be the first rollerball. Haven't had any issues with the twist so we''ll see with the rollerball. As to limiting my customers I'm not so big on that. If it's something within my capabilities I'll give it a shot. They don't just want a "pen" out of the bag. They want a themed, segmented gift for their son.Thanks againJeff

glycerine

Brian, that's been one of my complaints, it's not as bad on the series 2000 but it's still not a great pen but I sell or was selling a bunch of them for around 50.00

Same here. BUT, since you part off the end of the blank and then press the center band on the outside of the brass tube, you can probably avoid this issue by filing down the inside of the tube on that end and then sanding/polishing. It's alot of work, but looking at the inside of mine, the brass tube protrudes further than the threads and I believe this is what is scratching the other piece.
If that's what the customer wants, give it to them, but be aware of this issue and try to "fix" it if you can.

Top Bottom