Flat top americana question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

I goofed--when gluing in the cap tube, the CA glue dried before I could get the tube in the proper position, it's proud of the blank by about 1/32" on the end of the blank where is't supposed to be flush, which means that the tube will be short by the same amount at the opposite end, where the center band is supposed to sit. Can I salvage this? I assume it will affect the twist mechanism to some degree, but not sure how much, since I'm a rookie. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

Thanks, did that, went ahead and turned it and finshed, but am hesitant to assemble it until I have a better idea of whether I need to make any adjustments for tube length. If nobody else chimes in, I'll just go ahead and put it together tomorrow and see what happens.

Dan

airrat

The main thing with that kit is the CB being too tight and crimping the tube. I actually turn off a tiny bit of the brass tube and test fit the CB. I have to glue it on with a tiny amount of thin CA but its better then the crimping. When it crimps it messes up the transmission.

With you CB end being slightly short if you end up where it does not feel the transmission is working right, here is a little trick I tried.

with the top half all together (final, clip, brass piece the final screws into and CB) unscrew the final 1/4 turn ( basically a tiny bit.) Use it push that brass piece and your transmission in a little more. I had to do this one time I didnt turn enough of a tenon. What this will do is put your transmission slightly past the brass tube that was rubbing on your lower tube.

Hope this makes sense.

Dan_F

Tom---Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I went ahead and put it together, and it worked just fine without any fussing. I just had read that some kits were very sensitive to the length of the tube, so wanted to know what to do in case there was a problem.

Dan

Top Bottom