Finishing help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomS

What is the correct way to finish stabilized wood blanks? I've only turned about 20 pens,and all are acrylic. All were wet sanded and then MM'd. Is this the method I should use, or should they be dry sanded and finished like a raw blank? Thanks for your help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
J

jackrichington

Stabilized blanks are wood saturated with resin so they can be considered plastics

Skye

Eh, that's true and untrue. While yes, they are stabilized, it's not like the wood fibers are replaced with plastic. So, it's still a wood blank.

Rather than considering it a plastic, consider it transforming from a punky wood to a nice hardwood like Ironwood. Now, Ironwood isn't something you'd finish like a plastic, you'd seal it when you're done shaping it, then apply a finish (CA for me). A stabilized wood should be treated in the same fashion.

GouletPens

you don't want to ever wet sand wood, just as a rule. you can still you the same MM method but dry, blowing out the pads with compressed air every 30 seconds or so. I sand everything dry and it works great (I also have a DC hood at the lathe so it's clean too).

A lot of the sellers say that stabilized woods don't even need a finish but that's BS. It's still wood. If you don't put a finish on it you'll have a dull satin sheen, which is fine but not overly impressive to a potential customer. 4-6 coats thin CA with a paper towel and accelerant spray b/w every other coat, then polish with MM. Do that and save yourself 50 hours of experimenting with less fruitful methods....:present:

Top Bottom