favorite wood supplier

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Munsterlander

If this belongs in a different forum just let me know.

I know a lot of you drive around with chain saws and find cool wood in unexpected places - but I'm guessing some of you have some regular suppliers from which you purchase wood. Just looking for other possibilities.

I buy most of mine from woodturningz or ebay, with Spa City Woodworks and The River's Edge Exotics being my most common - and I'm quite happy with blanks and service I've received from all of them. The main reason I would want additional sources is simply that sometimes I'm looking for a species they don't have.

Thanks,
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithkarl2007

Try some of the vendors here, they offer amazing blanks and pride themselves with the top quality woods and service they provide.

Dario

I know a lot of you drive around with chain saws and find ...

Are you talking about me? :biggrin:

OMG, that is a tough job. I once owned 4 chainsaws (16", 18" 24" and 36" bar :eek:). Di I say it is addicting? Good thing I managed to shake it off my system. Down to 1 CS now. :biggrin:

Kidding aside, there are a lot of good vendors here and yes, most have their own specialty. :)

rick_lindsey

We have a local place called Woodworker's Source that carries a variety of domestic and exotic woods... they'll cut a piece as small as 1foot long, as long as the remaining piece is at least 4 feet long. I wander the aisle looking at the ends of the long-but-narrow boards :).

-Rick

wood128

I would agree with the others. There are many very good sources of wood for pens, etc. right here on IAP . I think is is probably the best and fastest source to find some different wood, from imported burls and exotics to domestic hardwoods. Many of us turners will often trade wood. I happen to have a few pen blanks from wood that grows in Florida....citrus, cuban mahogany ( almost extinct ) and beautiful marblecake red cedar.

Longfellow

Wood Source

I sell on this site on Individual Classified Forum and also on eBay, username Deltakong. A number of members of IAP have purchased from me and all have been satisfied with what I have to offer. I have 2 items on the Classified Forum at this time.

jkeithrussell

In my area, the best place that I know of is Houston Hardwoods. I get most of mine from their shorts pile. I recently picked up a really nice pile of birdseye maple, curly maple, padouk, purpleheart, and cocobolo -- enough to keep me busy for a long, long time (enough for probably 300 blanks) for about $75.

Otherwise, I have bought loads of blanks from people here on IAP in the classifieds.

nava1uni

I buy from the people here on IAP. Like Ruth suggested I always look through all of the postings here. I have gotten some really nice and different blanks for prices that still allow me to buy other things.

Munsterlander

Well, I'm glad I asked. Kinda embarassed - I've been reading on the site pretty heavily for a year now, but I just never looked at the classifieds, which in retrospect was dumb. My reflexive response to _all_ advertisements is to ignore them because in most situations they are a waste of time - but clearly here they are actually fantastic. The only problem now is that I've spent too much money in the past 24 hours!

Thanks for the ongoing education.

Btw, Chuck - I grew up in Bristol, went to school at UT Knoxville, and my brother went to a summer camp ages ago near Tellico Plains - sometime when I'm visiting home I might just head that way...

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I know a lot of you drive around with chain saws and find cool wood in unexpected places -

Don't let the glamorous side fool you.
Do you know how many National Parks we're not allowed into anymore?
Take a nice family vacation in the Sierra Nevada .. one person sees the
General Sherman, I see Jr. Statesmans and Emperors ..

Can't even cut a little chunk out of a sequoia without someone getting their
panties in a bunch ...

woodboys

Mike, I too buy sell and trade in the classifieds here. I've come into contact with some nice people and have increased my collection to way over 100 species of pen blanks. I had no clue alot of them even existed. Yes then can be a very habit forming addiction.

Top Bottom