favorite wood (smell)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlucchesi

I am new to pen turning and have been turning a bunch of exotics that I purchased when I started. Last night I turned some Birdseye maple and was amzaed at the memories that I had from that distinct odor of the maple. It reminded me of the flat work that I have done with maple (and if I will ever go back). What it the wood that you really like the smell of and do some bring back good memories?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Lignum Vitae, Cocobolo, olive, apple, and cherry all smell nice. No particular memories associated with those smells, though, since this is my first attempt at any kind of woodworking!

JasonF

Blooodwood. I couldn't place the smell until I was talking with Don Ward and he mentioned it smelled like Red Velvet cake [:)].

GaryMGg

Steve (Czar), I'm with you on camphor -- I keep some rough in the shop at all times.
Some of my favorites also include: black cherry, bloodwood, pine (so long as it's got
lots of that turps aroma [:p]), olivewood, and black walnut.

- G -

Most any rosewood, olive, cedar, and walnut. The walnut drives the wife off, as well as the daughters. But the son and son-in-law both like it as well......can this be a gender thing???? Oh, and jacaranda.

kent4Him

Cocobolo and Amboyna have a sweet smell to me. I don't really care for the smell of olive wood, but then again, I don't like olives.

On the flip side, I don't like Thuya. Smells like the inside of a pencil eraser.

ilikewood

Check out the Daily Trivia question. Thuya is one of the most "aromatic" woods. It's aroma come right through the finish. It is a relative of the cedar, but IMHO, is much more aromatic than cedar.

wudnhed

Bloodwood, olive wood, cedar (altho I don't turn much cause I don't like it), maple, lignum vitae, osage orange. I think I like most of them but I turned some desert iron wood today and it stinks, can't get used to that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom