Experimenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

I have been thinking of a little different concept using a standard slimline kit. I had some spare Cocobolo blanks glued up, and thought I'd try the shape I had in mind. Remember, this is just a quick-and-dirty picture!

200711210227_co1a.jpg

I got the shape to just about match what I had in mind, but it ended up chunkier than I had imagined it. My next one will have to be slimmer. Here's another without the flash.

200711210325_co2a.jpg

Not only was I trying for the overall shape, but also the coves cutting down to the centerband. I'm worried that if I make the pen slimmer the undercutting of the coves will not stand out as much.

200711210414_co3a.jpg

The pen I have been thinking of will have a different centerband made by me. I won't say too much about that now and will let it develop a bit first.

I didn't use any filler or finish on this pen, just turned and sanded the wood. So imperfections in the wood surface are natural (some people like natural!) When I get the shape to where I want it, I will probably turn it in either African Blackwood or Maple, depending on my mood.

What do you think?

Scott.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkHix

I'm not normally a fan of the pens w/ the skinny middle and the larger bodies but I like this one alot. It should not be any different than writing w/ a cigar. I like the choice of kit, I think it matches your shape well. Can't wait to see the next one.

gmcnut

Scott,

I like it and I am not usually a fan of the narrow waisted slimlines. You have carried off with a very nice flair.

Randy_

I don't like it; but that is why we have Chevy and Ford. Just as with most designs there will be folks on both side of the fence. Some folks who don't like it will certainly remain quiet just to be polite.

If you like it, Scott, and it sells, that is all that really matters.

MDWine

Yep, I'm on the "I've never liked slimline embelishments much" boat as well. This has a very nice look to it. I'd like to see how the clip rests on the barrel, however. Shapes like that usually make the clip look funny to me, at least. You indicate making one a bit thinner, and I think that will look great!

Congrats, You've got something going there!

Looking forward to your final creation!

oldsmokey

Scott, I think you have the start to a well designed pen. I like your idea of your own center band. I see several things you can do there. What about a closed end cap and then use Russ Fairfield's method of installing the clip.

ilikewood

Did you have problems with the clip having to be bent out? Does the clip look normal or flexed out (I can't tell from the picture)?

I actually like the design, Scott (and the wood)![:D]

Scott

Thanks for the comments guys! I have not made the centerband I want to for this pen yet. Think something along the lines of a fireball! The slim-waisted look is not really to my taste - the stock centerband in this case is just a placeholder. I'm going to try to do up the proper centerband this weekend, and I feel it will give this pen a whole different look!

The clip really didn't have any problem fitting to the fatter barrel on this pen, and it doesn't really look bent out of shape either.

Arthur - Is this the same kind of idea you were having?

Bill - Did you recognize one of your missing pen blanks? [8D]

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom