exotic wood veneer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SKEETERPROV

Hj everyone I have pile of veneer it is paper thin and in sheets and rolls,, is there anyway of utilizing this to make into pen blanks... Thanx Scott

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

danroggensee

Sure just send it to me and I will show you how to use it for pens. LOL

I don't have a clue but would like to play with it to try .

Dannie

ZanderPommo

were it me, i'd cut into 1 in wide by 6 in long pieces, coat both sides of each piece w/epoxy or tb3, and laminate them all together with a vise (to apply pressure evenly) and tighten it tight. never done this, but thought about it

bitshird

were it me, i'd cut into 1 in wide by 6 in long pieces, coat both sides of each piece w/epoxy or tb3, and laminate them all together with a vise (to apply pressure evenly) and tighten it tight. never done this, but thought about it

Zander, were you not the one who said they wanted to do a segmented pen, with a thousand pieces, Most veneer is from .5 mm to . 7mm so there you go.

Actually there is a lot of good uses for veneer in segmenting, it doesn't have to be metal!

ZanderPommo

i'm not the one who said that, but yes i considered veneer when i heard that said, would be a cool way to do it, but if its really thin the finished product may only look like plywood

jttheclockman

I would not waste it on pens. Have you thought about some sort of boxes. Are you willing to sell it??? What do you have???

robutacion

Hi peoples

Nothing that difficult to glue timber veneer on pen blank tubes and then cast them in clear resin...! You could use one timber only, with a nice clean joint, or just mix up things, there is, glue them in layers (different colours/sizes, etc) in square, spiral, cross, over and under, etc., etc., your imagination would be the only limitation...!

I don't remember to have seen any pens made this way, but I'm pretty sure this has been done before, somewhere by someone. The day that I've seen a pen made out of Koala poo :eek:, was the end of ever thinking that ain't possible...!

Cheers
George

Crashmph

I have done this several times. It works rather well. I have done this process to make a 7/8" thick block 5 1/2" x 8" and then cut the block up in to 7/8" blanks. I was able to get 8 blanks out of it using my table saw with a thin kerf blade.

Also you can do this same process and cut the block on a bias and get the "dymondwood" effect. That works rather well too.

5min epoxy worked great for me.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Well, Scott, I'd say you have a wealth of materials at your fingertips. One of the guys in our local chapter group made a really neat pen from a blank made of 80 sheets of colored painter's canvas - all same color done lile Zander said.

Your variety is only limited to the amount of creativity, veneer and glue available.

SKEETERPROV

sounds like some good ideas... I also thought of wetting and rolling on the tubes...gluing them all together sounds good too i will have to design a old style wall paper wetter system and maybe water down the glue to thin it and layer all the pieces and put them in the press....LOL....

Thanx for all the input so far....

Top Bottom