European Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tmegow

My son asked me to make him a pen. He picked out a European Pen Kit. Is the tenon an issue for newbs? The woodcraft .pdf and the CSUSA .pdf both show a tenon without a hole. Isn't the tenon cut with the brass tube in place? The CSUSA site has an artisan European kit with a tenon and an Apprentice European kit without a tenon ?!? They basically the same size and shape??
Sorry to ramble Thanks for any help given
Tom
Ala

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

Tenon cutting can be a challenge for new turners. If you don't want that hassle try the PSI Designer series NT (No Tenon). They are much easier to turn and look very much the same as the regular European kits. Just my opinion.

gbpens

A tenon can be done very easily by placing the center ring on the spacer bushings. Begin a 1/8th tenon with the parting tool. When the center ring slides onto the tenon with the lathe stopped you have the tenon at the right size. I used this method last week on a letter opener for which I had no bushings.

RKB

I'm a pretty new turner and when I started to learn about pen turning making the Euro style pens helped me gain some confidence, understand the importance of calipers and appreciate the importance of accuracy. You can do it. :biggrin:
Rod

zig613

I much prefer making the Euros with the tenon. I use to make the PSI Designer until they chanced the design and switched to the tenonless design. Now I use the Berea Euro. As noted above, the tenon takes a little practice but can be done using a parting tool by novice turners.

If you are looking for a bushing to assist in the cutting of the tenon PSI makes a sizing sleeve. Here is a picture of one Designer Pen Kit Sizing Sleeve Bushing Set Item #: PKMONT-BUX.

Wade

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I believe that both the Apprentice and the Artisan European kits at CSUSA do require a tenon. As Wayne (Turncrazy43) noted, you do have an option for a no-tenon version with the PSI Designer kit which is their competitor to the European kit.

The tenons are fairly easy to make though, so I wouldn't necessarily advise against it for a new turner. If you want to practice before trying it on your real blank, you could tube up a cheap, featureless blank and turn a tenon on one end (or both for that matter).

Once you get a tenon of the right size on a practice blank, you could actually use it as a guide for your real blank. First turn the end of the blank down to the outer diameter of the center band then remove the bushing & replace it with the practice blank, then turn the tenon down to the diameter of the tenon on your practice blank.

Don't try to turn the entire width of the tenon at once - turn about 1/2 to 3/4 of the full width & when you get it down to the right diameter, stop the lathe & hold the center band up to it to see how much more you need to take off. Take very thin cuts of additional material & recheck with the lathe off until you get it to the exact width of the center band.

Edgar

ofd8001

I'm a newbie to pen turning as well. Tenons for Euros aren't too terrible.

As noted above, use cheap blanks until you feel comfortable/confident, then go on to the better stuff.

What I've found is the bushing in the Woodcraft Euro starter kit gets you in the ball park, but additional "tuning" is needed. Once I get the tenon to "work" with the bushing, I'll disassemble the mandrel and use the center ring to confirm the fit.

butchf18a

Euro round top from Berea. No tenon required, pens look great, kit price very reasonable. I sell a lot of these.

Jmoicbw-bidi

tmegow

I decided to bite the bullet and try to make the pen my son wanted..
I was intimidated by the tenon! The cap turned out well. The bottom has a step.
I used the bushing as a guide but I still managed to leave a small step and a very small gap.
I will need one of those trimmer things to insure a better gap-less fit.
More money for the Vortex :)
My 90 degree sander let me down.
Over All I am pleased with my first Attempt at this style pen
Thanks for the encouragement Y'all

Spalted Hickory (I found on the side of the road)

View in Gallery

Top Bottom