Euro-Backwards

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jusjoe

I finally got a BLO/CA finish that I'm happy with. But a went to assemble and found I had the tube lenghts reversed. The long tube that should have been of the cap end is on the tip end and vice a verse a.:frown:

This hobby so addicting and I'm just getting the hang of it.

Please tell me there is solution.

Thanks
Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

The long tube is for nib end and the shorter tube is for the cap end. If you really do have them reversed you can disassemble your hardware using a punch set. A punch set is your 'friend' when things go wrong and you want to make it right. Harbour Freight sells them at good price.

jusjoe

Yes, i have the long tube on the nib end. It's not together yet. But the diameter of the nib end is different from the cap end.

Thanks
Joe

jkeithrussell

Personally, I like the way the Euro pen looks with the long tube on the cap end. Just finish the pen out and let it be.

ldb2000

Just be careful about how far you push the transmission in to the tube . The shorter tube is the same length as a regular slimline so with the transmission correctly pressed in it will work just fine .

mickr

I keep stuff like that on a mistake shelf..to remind myself I can be a total idjit...helps me stay focused on the job at hand (my shelf is overflowing!)

jusjoe

Thanks to all I'll not make that mistake again. I just kept inching(wrong word) the transmission in until it was the right projection for the ball. The pen looks good to me. Now I can just keep working on my BLO/CA Finish.

Joe

RAdams

Banned
yeah, i was gonna say, when you get it backwards, you have to push the transmission deeper than normal to get the refill to come out of the nib correctly.

I have done several "backwards" Euro's. In fact, i think they look better that way, more balanced. When you do as the instructions says, and put the small tube on top, then put a center band on the top tube, it looks tiny, and the bottom tube looks huge. but when you do it the other way, it is well balanced. It does put the center band on the back of your hand when you write tho. (or maybe i just have big hands)

jkeithrussell

yeah, i was gonna say, when you get it backwards, you have to push the transmission deeper than normal to get the refill to come out of the nib correctly.

It's actually the opposite. When you use the long barrel on the nib end, you have to push the transmission further into the barrel (because it is longer). If you use the long barrel on the cap end, you push the transmission in on the shorter barrel as you normally would with a slimline. If you use the long tube on the cap end, you are basically making a slim line with a custom centerband.

fafow

One of the nice things about working with the slimlines, streamlines, and round tops is that you can just market a mistake like this as an original design. The old phrase "if you can't fix it, feature it" works fine here. As long as the fit and finish are good, just market it as though that was how you intended it to come out. Say it is a new design you are developing and are doing some test marketing of it.

Top Bottom