Elegant American

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Perusing ASBB site I saw the elegant American titanium is on sale.
I looked in the "B" company's catalog and checked out the description.
It says it uses the same "Great" twist mechanism as the flattop American.
Here's the question.
I have made the classic American from woodcraft and experienced problems with it.That is a "B" company component set.
I realized the two "kits" may be entirely different.
As I cannot find any instructions for the Elegant American I would like to know if the transmission "seats" in the part of the top that the finial threads into.
This is a nice looking pen that appears it would make a nice "customizable" pen.

Is there any one who has made this pen or has a kit that they could take pictures of showing the components layed out as they are assembled so I may see how it goes together?
Or
Anyone who has made the Flattop American from the "B" company,does it indeed assemble similar ro the Woodcraft "kit" that I mentioned in the beginning of the thread. Does the transmission"seat" in the part of the top that the finial threads into?

An online set of instruction at the suppliers site would be helpful but not all suppliers do that.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

Eagle you have to use the centerband with the eligant american as it has the threads that hold the two blanks apart. In my opinion as well as many others that have done this kit the centerband is the big drawback because it has a recess where the black is and the gold edges are sharp, in fact if they were just a little sharper someone could get cut. Because of the centerband I only did the first one or two that I first bought so its been a while but I do think that the transmition seats to the stud the the finial screws into.

Wayne

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I made a couple Eagle.. take a look at this thread for what I found out... Hope it helps.. if not ask more questions and I will see what I remember..
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5150&SearchTerms=elegant+american

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Wayne I am not sure about the part
"as it has the threads that hold the two blanks apart."
I have done a couple of designs that required threads I still use them I just hide them.
My concern it the transmission and how it seats and as Griz said in his post I believe it is exactly like the first 20 pens I ever made<I started turning with the Classic American form Wood craft and the design and durability of the tranny assemble can be problematic.
Griz-
I read your post when you made it and since I haven't done the pen(just investigating).
I noted that you state the "works" go in from the top.
If it is indeed like the Wood Craft kit they don't have to.
I put their components together exactly as directed and I have had no problems with about %50 percent of them(lousy percentage i know)
What the problems stems from is the fact that some people extend the refill and assume it it a double twist or they just continue turning it to retract the nib.It strips the tranny seat in that finial piece.
The Fact that the "B" company says it uses a great design make me wonder if it is so great why does it have problems?
Also-The perfect Fit uses a friction fit in the design of the mechanism and I have had no problems with it.
It would be nice if they would incorporate the two and have the works of the PF and the look of the EA.( just my impression)
Another note to Wayne
Should yo run-across any you have not turned and could lay the parts out and possibly post or send me a picture? I'd still be interested in seeing how it goes together.
The modified PF I posted the other day in SOYP(also in my album) has all the parts in it except the decorative CB indicating I don't let the recommended methods stop me.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I agree (Jeff, please don't faint again[:p])..
If this pen used the PF mechanism, not only would it be easier for all concerned, but you would be able to make a pencil out of it just by changing out the refill instead of cutting one down like I did in this post..
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6720&SearchTerms=american
The kit has potential... especially if they fix the centerband. It would make a nice pen/pencil kit in a slightly smaller size than the PF...
I don't do a lot of pen/pencil kits, but I do make sure I have a couple of PF's in the same wood and some mechanisms on hand if a customer wants own... I did the conversion for the EA because a customer asked about it... had to see if it worked...

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Grizz I know you are proud of your conversion,it's a slick trick, it was slick when I thought of it for a cigar I just didn't persue cutting the portion off as you did.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1355&SearchTerms=cigar,pencil
BUT
If it were the PF mechanism no modifications would be necessary.The PF is designed to do both remember?
Now if they could just add an erasure[:(]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />If this pen used the PF mechanism, not only would it be easier for all concerned, but you would be able to make a pencil out of it just by changing out the refill instead of cutting one down like I did in this post..

That's what I said above Eagle... and your right about how easy it is to do those conversions.. one of the nice things about being around here is a lot of us seem to work on the same problems at the same times...

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />
<br />If this pen used the PF mechanism, not only would it be easier for all concerned, but you would be able to make a pencil out of it just by changing out the refill instead of cutting one down like I did in this post..

That's what I said above Eagle... and your right about how easy it is to do those conversions.. one of the nice things about being around here is a lot of us seem to work on the same problems at the same times...

If only manufaBEREAerers would try to identify and solve probles like we do!
dance.gif

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Even if they didn't Eagle.. it would be nice if they listened to us... instead of telling us how long they have done this and they aint changing nothing...

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
note to Jeff and moderators
(to all: I cannot be held responsible for any adverse medical reactions as the result of reading any post I make or refers to me, including benevolent dictators.)

<br />Even if they didn't Eagle.. it would be nice if they listened to us... instead of telling us how long they have done this and they aint changing nothing...
Anybody checked the alignment of the planets lately?
Any word of extesive (beyond he ordinary) famine? pestalence?
Have there been any sightings of strange horsemen anywhere?
lupe.gif

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Gentle nudge from originator of this post
offtopic.gif

Hey, I may be partly if not mostly to blame but could we get back on topic?
deal.gif

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Thanks Mac that would be great!It isn't something I was going to rush right out( well actually it would be easier to do inside at the computer)
I noticed Bill's itinerary and thought I might plan for it.
Still in the design phase.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Eagle,
I'm guessing you will have a pic of the kit before I get back to work tomorrow-but if not, I will bring one with and provide same photo before noon (busy day, will only be at computer a few times)

Eagle,
Here is a picture of a five of them and the instructions. If you can't make out what you need from this picture of the instructions, let me know and I'll send another, larger to your private email address.

200568234728_24Oct04-American-Elegant-01.jpg

200568234743_Instructions-0016.jpg

airrat

I have turned a couple of these pens. My problem was not the seating it was getting the grain to line up after seating all the parts and screwing the top on. The method I have done to fix this was screwing the CB to the top, lining up the grain and pressing the bottom blank on. My last one I just did made of Tulip wood, only problem I am having is it feels tight when twisting it. I am trying to find some way to lubricate the twist mech.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Toom the method youdescribe is how WC suggests to assemble the classic American.
It also suggests that you make sure the top portion turns with absolutely not resrtriction.I realize teh EA and AC are different pens but the mechanism works the same way as decrbed in the cat.
I am going to guess on those that don't feel right there is something ing the tube like glue residue you may have missed or possibly and out of round or burrred tube.
I have used a tapered punch to solve the out of round pproblem thoughI don't know how it happened possible with the AC while assembling.
The glue can just be missed by not catching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom