El Grande fountain pen instructions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

scturner

Hello all,

I hope someone can help me out on this. I finished turning an El Grande fountain pen from Woodcraft and getting ready to press things together. Thing is, their instructions on their website (that I printed) don't go into great detail for the fountain pens. Seems more generic and covers both the rollerball and FP. I called my local Woodcraft and they tried to help and said a page was missing from the instructions. He also sent me to Penn State for instructions but theirs look different from the Woodcraft pens.
Does anyone know where I can get some good instructions for this pen that I can print off.

Thanks, appreciate any help!
David

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I just looked at the directions... the only difference in making the FP over the RB is that you screw in the FP nib assembly instead of the RB nib assembly... that and of course putting an ink cartridge into the FP... the rest of the assembly is the same...
I also don't know why they sent you to PSI for directions, the El Grande is a Berea kit.

scturner

Tom, thanks for the reply. This is my first El Grande FP so it is a bit of a mystery with all the parts. I see what you mean with the nib but the kit comes with an ink cartrige and another longer part that I assume has control over the twist mechanisum. It's a see thru plastic part (black & white) that you twist and has a little sorta check valve at the bottom. Can't figure out what the relationship is between those are exactly and how they work together in the pen. I've got the rest pretty much figured out, it's just the ink cartrige and the twist thingy.

I'm glad to say though that I've now finished 3 pens and the FP will be the fourth. I've made 2 cigar pens and 1 european all from Woodcraft. All turned out fairly nice I think, trying to do more when I get more kits.

Thanks for the help partner. I'll check those instructions again.
David

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
David the see through part you are talking about is an ink pump in case the customer wants to use bottled ink instead of the cartridges... a lot of knowledgeable FP users prefer the high grade bottled inks.

One other suggestion... DO NOT buy your kits at Woodcraft, you are paying way way too much for them... they are buying the kits from Berea, CSU and/or PSI and upping the price...
Take a look at www.arizonasilhouette.com and see what a difference the prices are... he is selling cigars for $2.95 and slimlines for $1.55. His prices and service will blow Woodcraft away in terms of pen supplies...

scturner

Thanks Tom for the advice..much appreciated! The only reason I actually buy from Woodcraft is they are close by but I know what you mean about prices!!! I have bought some bottle stopper blanks and chrome from Bill before and think I seriously need to buy from him again. Can't beat $2.95 for cigar pens!

Ok, I got you now on the ink pump, had no idea what it was. My wife and I were talking about the FP and figured there must "not" be any twist part to a FP, only gravity feed...correct? I think I need only to puncture the ink cartrige into the nib, then, when you use it the ink will flow into the nib. Sounds good to me anyway???

I'll hang on to the ink pump in case someone would prefer it. I'll also have a look at Bill's site on pen kits. Need to save them $$ since I haven't sold any yet.

Thanks again for the help! May not have figured it out otherwise.
David

melogic

Dave,
I generally give the pump with the pen to the person that purchases the pen. I do this for the reasons Tom stated. Just my thoughts. Good luck with the FP's.

its_virgil

David,
I might add that the ElGrande is very sensitive to glue inside the tube. The wood is very thin on the ElGrande and glue inside will cause the tube to expand and the wood will crack or the plastic part will break. Guess how I know this? So, I suggest you be sure the tubes are free of any dry glue and proceed to press in the parts very gingerly....strainght in and slowly. Good luck; one of my favorite kits. I carry an ElGrande FP or RB almost daily.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by scturner
<br /> This is my first El Grande

scturner

Thanks guys for all the great advice. Melogic, yes, I'll keep the pump handy just in case a buyer would prefer it..thanks. Don, well I am going to press everything together later and glad you mentioned the glue aspect in the tubes...we learn by doing, or undoing sometimes..huh. I'll check the tubes for any glue to be sure.

Right now I'm using Loctite to glue in the tubes but should probably use something a little slower setting.. have to be quick with that loctite I've discovered. I purchased Bill Baumbeck's pen turing video a while back and he cracks me up talking about using the Gorilla "goo" to glue in the tubes. Do you fellas use that stuff?

Well, think I'll give that FP a go and see how it turns out. Need to see about getting some more kits as well.

Thanks again for all the help, I was in the dark on this pen for sure.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom