duck tape

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

I bet it would work with resin. Just like micarta.
Just sandwich the tape with fiberglass resin until it's about 3/4" thick.
Let it cure for a week, cut it to a blank -
and turrrrrn.

Richard B

I bet it would work with resin. Just like micarta.
Just sandwich the tape with fiberglass resin until it's about 3/4" thick.
Let it cure for a week, cut it to a blank -
and turrrrrn.

It is my understanding that you need a fabric that is able to soak up resin for it to work "micarta" style. But I am just a newbie and haven't done the process myself.

glycerine

Call it whatever you wish. Everyone knows what you mean whether you say "duct tape" or "duck tape". Denim or jeans, soda or pop, yard or lawn, noodles or pasta, vehicle or automobile... Ok, I'm done.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm not sure but "duct tape" may work better!

There is disagreement on the "correct" name. OED suggests "duck tape" may be the original name.

Duct tape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whatever, I'm happy to accept either one equally.

"Duck" tape is a brand name.
True enough....
Duck Tape®

Duct tape—it's America's favorite fix-all. From industrial strength to general purpose, and classic gray to groovy tie-dye, Duck® brand duct tape comes in all shapes, strengths and colors.The trade mark implies that they want to protect the brand name which includes many other products.

Duct work in many homes was sealed with a paper based tape for years before they began using what we now call duct tape for doing it. It also seems that it was actually called duck tape earlier than duct.

In either case --- I think we all know what a person is talking about whichever word they use.

On a side note -- I was looking for Duct Sealing Compound at a local Big Box Home Improvement Store....they didn't know what I was talking about until I found another old Sailor and told him I wanted Monkey S*** -- he took me right to the spot.

MattTheHat

QUACK QUACK!

I used the term duct tape, but you gotta admit, the little Rubber Ducky logo on the Duck Tape brand stuff is awfully cute.

-Matt

Top Bottom