Drying wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bengoshi47

Last week I got some wood from a white oak tree that was inside Clemson University's Memorial(football) stadium. I want to make some "Clemson) pen for Christmas but need to dry the before I stabilize it. I have a food dehydrator with a blower and thermostat. Anyone ever tried this or know why it would not work?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jfoh

Dried hundreds of blanks with one. After you dry them you need to let them stabilize a few days to a week. The dryer over dries them a little. Best to let them return to a equilibrium point moisture wise.

Skie_M

I read in another of your threads concerning this fresh white oak that it's a problematic wood ... the tree's cells are of a "closed" type that don't readily yield their moisture in a food dehydrator. A microwave oven was recommended... with multiple cycles of heating and cooling.

robutacion

Dried hundreds of blanks with one. After you dry them you need to let them stabilize a few days to a week. The dryer over dries them a little. Best to let them return to a equilibrium point moisture wise.

In fact, if the wood is to be stabilized, you should put them straight into the solution before they get any moisture in, Cactus Juice and moisture don't mix so, for stabilizing, "over dried" wood is never to dry...!

Cheers
George

Kdoc87

I have read a number of places about drying wood in a toaster oven for 24 hrs before stabilizing. I was wondering why you couldn't just microwave it in small increments...anyone know if that would work?

low_48

Last edited:
Top Bottom