Drilling Stone !!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darley

Did some one have the chance to turn a pen out of stone? If I do have a stone ( say medium to hard density ) what kind of drill bit should I use??, any comments or help will be welcome, Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Carbide or diamond bits are the only ones I know that will work.

I believe stone are brittle so be very careful with the pen and avoid dropping it.

Good luck!!!

Randy_

Serge:

Don't know how much research you have done on the subject already; but this strikes me as being a project that is well beyond the capability of the average hobby pen crafter. Making a pen out of a relatively soft stone would certainly be possible; but when you are looking at seriously hard rocks, it is a whole new ballgame..... special tools and special techniques. You aren't just going to drill a hole in a rock and turn it down on your JET mini with a Sorby skew.

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest that you talk to local people who works with cutting and polishing stone....people who make counter tops for kitchens or headstones for the departed or lapidary people who cut and polish stones for jewelry. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it is likely to be a very involved(expensive) project and probably not worth the effort just to make a pen or two.

Good luck with your inquiries and let us know how this turns out!!

You might even look for an Internet forum like this one that is devoted to lapidary work and see what help you can get there.

terrymiller

Serge there are certain types of stone that can be turned or cut with normal tools. I have made several pens from Soapstone and seen some made from Alabaster.

bob393

I drill stone with carbide bits on a regular basis. I don't know how it would work in the precision relm of penturning.

This kind of begs the off topic subject of cast cement pens. I have done some small counter tops out of cement and they are COOL.

DocRon

I have made a pen and a desk pen holder from soapstone. Driled with a normal drill (not a bradpoint) and used mostly scrapers when turning. It turned and polished nicely. I thought it a bit heavy to carry, besides being prone to scratching, so I made the desktop holder. Sorry, no pics, it is long gone (sold at a charity auction). Soapstone is talc, from which talcum powder is made, so it is really soft. Sort of a novelty item, IMO, not too practical - pretty, tho.

jclark58

Max Krimmel (http://www.maxkrimmel.com) did an Alabaster turning demo at the Arizona Woodturners Association last month. Someone inquired about turning pens from Alabaster and Max said it was possible. He uses SLOW speed, 50 RPMS, normal turning tools, mostly scapers, and the Kel McNaughton Center Saver (with carbide tips). To attatch the pieces to the lathe for roughing he uses a 1" pin chuck similar to the type used around here for closed ended pens. Later in the process the pieces are held with either glue blocks, double sided tape, or a vaccuum.

FYI, Max uses a carbide tooth handsaw to cut the stone to rough dimensions. Too much friction generated heat will drive the water from the stone and turn it opaque and chaulky.

Jason

gerryr

I fooled around with lapidary stuff many years ago and even had a small power saw for cutting stones. It was not unlike the water bath grinders that several places sell. The lower part of the blade was in water so the stone was constantly bathed in water as the blade rotated. I had a friend drill some jade for me for a set of rings I was making and he had water running on the drill bit constantly to keep both the bit and the stone cool and help flush the grit out. It was a very messy operation. In addition to keeping the tool and stone cool, the water also serves to eliminate airborne rock dust.

Darley

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />I fooled around with lapidary stuff many years ago and even had a small power saw for cutting stones. It was not unlike the water bath grinders that several places sell. The lower part of the blade was in water so the stone was constantly bathed in water as the blade rotated. I had a friend drill some jade for me for a set of rings I was making and he had water running on the drill bit constantly to keep both the bit and the stone cool and help flush the grit out. It was a very messy operation. In addition to keeping the tool and stone cool, the water also serves to eliminate airborne rock dust.

Thanks Gerry I was thinking the same for drilling with water, bit mst be kept cooler, now another question for every one , If I want to drill to 10m/m should I started drilling first at 7m/m , 8m/m and 9m/m to prevent chatering? I will call this " progressive drilling "
Thanks for the infos

1080Wayne

Serge Don`t know answer to your progressive drilling question , but in using a diamond drill on petrified wood {hardness of agate} I found it impossible to prevent blow-out . This experiment is also on my to-do list . Will be delighted to learn from your mistakes . Wayne

johncrane

Serge l recon wrap plenty of tape around the blank first so if it blows out you will still have all the bits'and then with a masonry drill bit' drill a small pillet hole spray with water to keep it cool use a small spray bottles.Then drill your final hole let's no how you get on. [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom