Drilled wrong size into blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cat6492

I reversed the 15/32 and the 25/64 drill bit holes in an expensive blank for the Baron. Suggestons on how to salvage? What about cutting down a dowel and gluing it in the existing holes snd redrilling? Ant help is appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
You can probably chuch up a piece of 1/2" dowel and sand it down 1/32 to fit the 15/32-drilled tube. I'd use epoxy or poly glue to glue it in and give it overnight to set up since you are going to re-drill it. If you take your time on the blank-half you drilled at 25/64, you should be able to center the 15/32" bit and ream it out to 15/32. BTW, that's one reason why I mark my blanks with cut lines, grain alignment lines and drill bit sizes. The numbers are used when I am cutting more than one piece of the same specie of wood.

200542018481_MiK%20GOW%20M-C-G-T.jpg
<br /> Good luck, Spencer!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Been there, never thought of a dowel-please post how it works. (I put mine in the "someday I'll figure out what to do with this" pile.)

write-n-style

IIRC there's isn't much meat outside the tube on the Barons.
It would be a good experiment but the drill has to be pretty precise.
Good luck.
THere's something else you might try if you glued up with CA.
Soak the blanks in some acetone for a day or so, the tubes will push right out.
Turn a dowel the size of the holes from something that will match in color,it won't be seen anyway.
Try drilling after you have glued the dowels in and they have had time to set up.
WOrse comes to worse, the acteone soak will salvage the tubes.
Small consolation.

I would approach this from a different direction. First off if you put a dowel or a dowel shaped piece in the hole then try and drill it out it won't work. You are drilling into end grain and two different kinds of wood. It will not drill straight, the drill will run out and ruin your blank. You only have a wall thickness of .039" to play with.

Think about this way. Get another piece of wood, an inexpensive pen blank of some easy to turn wood. Drill the proper size hole in it. Cut it the same length as the problem blank. Install the brass tube in it, by that I mean glue it in as if it was going to be a pen. Turn that blank down to the diameter that will allow you to slide it into the problem blank. Now you have the bushing made with the brass tube centered in it. Glue it in the problem blank. Trim the ends. Make a pen.

You will have to have a good glue job on the bushing that you are making. When you get down close to the brass tube you are only going to have that same .039" wall thickness, or actually to leave room for gluing in the blank you are fixing about .034" wall thickness of wood left.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Cat, I think you are going to have to write that blank off.. the bottom barrel of the Baron is about 15/32 give or take a couple of thousands... so if you have already drilled what should be the bottom blank with the 15/32 drill you will have nothing there even it you perfectly dowel and drill it and then turn it to the right diameter...
The walls of the Baron are about 3/64, there ain't a whole lot of meat to play with...
I think this is one of those "DUH!!!!" lessons we all have... had a one or two of them in the last week.. LOL.. You ain't alone...

driften

Let me get this right? Your top blank is too long and your bottom blank is too short if you go by the size holes drilled. Why not add some accent wood onto the too short blank and cut the too long one down? At least you still can use the wood and it may turn out better then you expected. If you ended up not swaping the blanks as you indicated and have two with the same larger hole size I guess there is not much you can do.

lkorn

Oh NOoooo! Not you Griz [}:)] The Master has damaged goods? [:D] How come we never the the mistakes. It would bring you back to our level (if only for a short time)

Ducking and running,

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />I think this is one of those "DUH!!!!" lessons we all have... had a one or two of them in the last week.. LOL.. You ain't alone...

JimGo

How much material is left on the blank with the larger diameter hole after drilling? Can you cut in half down the middle and glue it back together with the hole remnants facing out? The grain won't match, but depending on how much wood you have left, it may give you enough to go with. Alternatively, do this for both halves and make a slimline out of it!

Still another idea is to cut it into quarters and re-glue it after sanding down each of the cut ends a touch. Again, you'll have repair marks and the grain won't line up, but that may be better than tossing the blank.

Good luck!

rtgleck

I think I'd go with Mac's suggestion of turning down a similar wood to fit in the hole.. Makes a lot of sense and then if you get to small in some areas you'll already have accent..

wayneis

By the sounds of all the comments I would go with Jeff's suggestion and add a piece of contrasting wood to the bottom blank and cut the top to the right size. You can end up putting a small piece on each top and bottom so that they match up.

Wayne

dougle40

Mac took the words right out of my mouth .
I've done this before and it does work and if you trim off too much from the wood it's just as easy to remove all of it and start all over again . I would use a Polyurethane glue to glue the newly sized tube into the blank so it will absorb into both woods and give you an extremely strong bond .

Randy_

Given that the numbers were a little different.....i.e. you were making a big pen where there was a little more wood involved..... Mac's solution is clearly the best way to go. Gluing in a dowel and re-drilling would a require degree of precision that most of us just can't muster(Bruce Boone excepted).

Using the figures that Griz offered, I made a quick sketch on my CAD program and discovered that after bushing the hole like Mac suggested, turning the blank to the wall thickness quoted by Griz, the actual thickness of the outer wood shell would be about 0.008".....that is the thickness of 2 pieces of laser printer paper. Someone with a small machinists lathe might be able to do that; but I doubt most of us could do it on our JET mini??? I can think of several things you might try; but all would be more trouble than they were worth. If it were my project, I would either take a shot at a segmented pen or just blow it off as a learning experience and start another pen.

wayneis

There is really no reason to just throw the blanks away, after all thats why the oops band was invented. First cut the blank that you drilled 15/32 and cut some off and glue the tube into it. Then take the 25/64" and also glue it up, when it dries make a clean square part and drioll a small piece of wood that would look good and glue it to the bare tube. Now if you want to make the top to match the bottom that now has the oops band on it part off a little wood and glue some of the same wood that you used for the oops band. If you look at the photo albums you will see many examples of oops band turnery.

Wayne

PenWorks

I would save it and add a band or two to it, after all, you did say it was a nice blank and expensive.

Is it just me.....I save every cut off, every end, every bad blank, every busted blank, just every thing. I have boxes inside boxes seperating cut offs. [:D]

BogBean

I would say write the blank off. What are we talking about here $5.50?
Use the wood for something else if you can....

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Hey Come on Guys... I am as human as the rest of you.... I make mistakes... lots of mistakes.. in fact my daughter has a whole load of them she writes with... LOL...
I am beginning to think that one of them was admitting I make mistakes... LOL...

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Remember one thing Larry.... we have over 130 acres of property you can disappear on... LOL... NOT counting the neighboring farms.... LOL

wayneis

Anthony you're not the only one, I have several boxs with different types of cut-offs and half blanks. I don't through much of anything away. There is always someone wanting to add a center band of a combination of woods and I see this as a perfect example and opportunity. Go for it, just remember to post pic's.

Wayne

cat6492

Thanks for all the suggestions. Not sure which advise I'll take. Looks like a lesson learned. Watch what you are doing. If I'm successful in an attempt to fix it I'll let you know my solution.

Thumbs

Well, I guess he learned "one" thing. Ask 20 guys a question here, get ,oh, about 33&1/3 answers! Ha! But every "one" is one ya want to try, two!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom