Drill press info, please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
In looking for a bench top drill press I find that most of the quills only drill 2" or less. Is there a better option than a floor standing model, as I don't have the room?

Boy do I wish we had a "Tools" discussion forum. [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Lou: I have seen tabletop drill presses that have a 3-1/4 quill travel. These things are heavy, about 100 lbs or so. Prices that I can remember range from about $80 at Big Lots, to approx. $180. To me they appear to be just a floor model with a shorter
column.

As for saving space, I am not sure. The footprint on the floor models is small. You can reclaim the floor space by building a cabinet under the table. That way you will gain some storage. This is what I am planning to do.

The drill press I have has only 2" quill travel. I routinely drill much longer blanks with it by drilling as far as I can, stopping the motor at that point, loosening the vise, raising the quill a bit, and then reclamping. Not the best way to go, but has done the job for me.

Tom McMillan

When I moved from a very large shop to a very small shop, I bought a bench top Shop Fox drill press that also functions as an oscillating sander. It has 3 1/4 inch spindle travel. It's great---but, not real cheap. Grizzly has em---but, I got mine at a hardware store when they were on sale.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I have the Delta VS 350 drill press and love it... got a fantastic deal at Lowes when they had them on sale.. it has a 3.25" quill travel and the variable speed feature is a real asset, I no longer have to open the top and change belts I just turn the dial in front to adjust the speed.. a real nice feature when drilling different woods or problem woods..

tipusnr

I have a Craftsman Bench Top, 2" Travel, non-variable speed. Does the job but wouldn't buy another. Only good thing about the drill is that it forces you to work slow and steady. I get very few melt downs or blow outs.

As soon as I can afford one with a 3" or better throw this thing will become a power pen blank mill!!

wayneis

Tom I also have the VS Delta, just be sure to take the top off and oil the pullies every week. Kind of a pain but from what I hear if you do not want repair bills its gotta be done. The instructions say I believe to use a light machine oil and so I have been using 3 in one only because its what I have.

Wayne

jwoodwright

Wayne, I have a Delta VS DP also. The front pulley shaft is full of grease and the rear has an oil hole. The diagram shows oil holes in both shafts...[8D] Do I have a different model?[:)]

I just replaced my older Delta 12" to the variable speed one. Lots of good changes on it. The quill lock and the depth stop is a big improvement and if you make a table you can also move the table up and down witout having to slide it off to crank it up. The crank now is at about a 30 degree angle. My old one only had a quill travel of 2 3/8" versus the now 3 1/4" which is a big advantage for doing pens. Home Depot here in Canada is now selling it for $199 cdn.
Cheers
Mike

wayneis

John in the middle of the front pully there should be a hole in the grease, squirt some oil in there and then in the other. It says every week but does not give any indication on how much drilling that is based on. Someone posted that they did not know about it untill it was to late and had problems, that is when I found out and I have been oiling ever sense and I can tell a difference when I do it.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom