Drill Bit Size – Cap for Spring Blossom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zig613

The instructions for the spring blossom kit calls for a 14.5 mm drill bit for the cap. Some of the comments on this new kits say that there isn't a lot of wood left on the cap after it is turned. I have the bit for the CSUSA Gentlemen kit cap (37/64). For those who have made this kit has anyone tried a 37/64 drill bit, which is 0.0072 larger.

Thanks,

Wade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Twissy

Made one today, but used a 14.5 drill. It is a snug fit, so you may get away with it. I have found though that the bushings are I think slightly undersize which if yours are the same should give you a bit more to play with.
Hope you don't end up with the same problem I had today with an Olypian Elite.....so little meat left on the body you can see the scratches on the tubes and the CA!

islandturner

Hi Wade,

Well I'll have a go at this. I've made a couple of them.

The blossem cap tube is 14.43 mm in diameter (OD) or 0.5681 inches.

The 37/64 inch drill = 0.5781 inches.

So that's only an extra 0.01 inches -- the cap tube will jamb in the hole (or at least, it did for me). So I turned a piece of dowel a bit smaller than this and used double-sided tape to cover the dowel with 200 grit sandpaper. With this, I gently sanded the inside of the hole, basically removing the roughness left by the drill, until the tube would slip in. Worked like a charm.

You're right, the barrel material is getting pretty skinny by the time you turn to the bushings. The hole has to be nearly perfect.

Good luck
Steve

jallan

I have made 4 of the pens and use a 37/64 on the cap and have no trouble at all.Made from wood and my home made resin blanks.
Jallan

glycerine

Made one today, but used a 14.5 drill. It is a snug fit, so you may get away with it. I have found though that the bushings are I think slightly undersize which if yours are the same should give you a bit more to play with.
Hope you don't end up with the same problem I had today with an Olypian Elite.....so little meat left on the body you can see the scratches on the tubes and the CA!

Just an FYI, you'll probably want to start reverse painting. That will keep the tubes from being visible on those thinner pieces...

renowb

I have made a few and used the 37/64 bit. Mine worked, simply because I don't have the best equipment, ie, my drill press has some slop and the bit is not exactly straight, or maybe the drill press is not exactly straight, anyway, it works for me.

Top Bottom