Drift wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I was visiting my father-in-law by the Pacific ocean. And I picked up some nice drift wood. My question is: Should I harden the wood with Mini-wax harder, or send it out and have it stabilized ? The wood looks like splatted.

Bill :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Bill, that is hard to answer without seeing the wood. Is it stable enough to cut into a blank? If so, consider drilling it, running a bit of thin CA in the hole and letting it set. Re-drill the hole, tube it up, and turn it using thin CA to harden the surface as needed. This is far quicker and sort of stabilizes as you go.

Jarheaded

I have been having great results with the Minwax wood hardener. The softer the wood, the better it works. I found that drilling a hole before I stabilize, does help with the penetration.

winpooh498

I have found some beautiful drift wood on the coast I just used ca as I turned it and it worked fine just be prepared to sharpen your tools often as there will probably be a lot of sand in the wood. good luck and show us some pics when you get some done:D[8D]:)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I coated the blank with thin CA all over , including the ends . Just kept the CA on throughout the entire process . Had no problems . One difference is , my driftwood is Blue Mangrove from Florida .

200832633410_IMG_0030_1_2.jpg

Top Bottom