Does anyone make a kit to turn something like Sharpies?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

I'll venture a guess this might get moved to a different forum. No problemo. But, since I've started turning, I've wanted to turn my own permanent markers. Figure someone has to have something to scratch that itch with.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

Sharpies rock!!!

I dont know of a "Kit" for the sharpies marker refills but there was a buy for the taps that matched the threads.
I got a tap in a trade and have made 2, They are pretty cool and fun to make. Kinda starts you off into the "kitless" rhealm....

Drstrangefart

Yeah, no kidding. I looked into the threads provided, and it looks more complex than my skills and tools will allow right now. I'm gonna talk to my dad and see what he thinks. We may be able to pull this one off.

BigguyZ

:rolleyes:Can someone tell me what size the tap is that works for the sharpie?

Many thanks

The Sharpie tap is a proprietary one. A group buy happened last year where we had taps specifically manufactured for us.

However, in one of the previous threads, a member advised which tap was "close enough" to work. I forget which one it was, but you can search and find it there.

Texatdurango

:rolleyes:Can someone tell me what size the tap is that works for the sharpie?

Many thanks

The Sharpie tap is a proprietary one. A group buy happened last year where we had taps specifically manufactured for us.

However, in one of the previous threads, a member advised which tap was "close enough" to work. I forget which one it was, but you can search and find it there.

I was one member who made that comment! I made a few dozen of these things and found (if memory serves) that a common 1/2 x 20 tap available locally for a dollar or two, worked just fine. A little tight but after a few back and forth motions with the tap, the Sharpie inserts screwed in and out just fine.

Keep in mind, the refill itself is screwed in once every few months or so and unscrewed back out when replaced so it's not like the refill is screwed and unscrewed several times a day like a regular capped pen!

This "unprofessional" approach to pen making seemed to almost insight a riot when I mentioned it and a few members took offense to the term "close enough" so I figured if they were happy with buying their $30 "special" taps, I would just drop out of the discussions and go on my merry way making my pen bodies and everyone would be happy!

Chthulhu

According to the old threads, it's 0.450"-26. My measurements show 0.452-0.454" and about 25.5 TPI, so it's probably M11.5x1.0. Some people were using an M12x1.0 which would be a bit loose but apparently worked.

As an alternative, a normal 67-cent ($7.99/doz) non-refillable Sharpie's barrel is a tad under 1/2" OD at the cap. You could run a 1/2"-20 die up the barrel and use that instead of the $1.99 refill.

The extra-fine Sharpie's barrel is 7/16" OD at the cap and could be treated the same way with a 7/16"-20 die.

bobleibo

A 1/2" 20 TPI NF tap that you can get at HF works just fine. The refills can be bought at Office Depot for $1.98, item # 765390 . They have them in stock, I bought a few 3 days ago. It's not like anyone is going to be making Sharpies that sell for 100's of $$, more of a nice give away.......no reason to overthink it.
Have fun with it...
Bob

Chthulhu

Rethinking even further, just bore a barrel to 0.485" and 3-7/16" deep and the standard Sharpie just fits in there nice and snug. When it's dead, grab the black part with pliers and twist it out again.

Chthulhu

Rethinking even further, just bore a barrel to 0.485" and 3-7/16" deep and the standard Sharpie just fits in there nice and snug. When it's dead, grab the black part with pliers and twist it out again.

For the cap, bore to 0.505" and 2" deep, cut off the clip and the little nub under it, and shove that in.

Here's a quick and dirty, drilled from the wrong end of the barrel so the grain doesn't line up with the cap, and I cracked the barrel at the lip through a knot, but it works! <G>

"Sanded" with ScotchBrite and "finished" with a mineral oil rub.

Attachments

• Img_1015c.jpg
    Img_1015c.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 272
  • Img_1016c.jpg
    Img_1016c.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 291

gwilki

I've done several of these. I use the plastic part of the center band for an El Grande rollerball kit. I just cut off the shoulder part and glue it into the barrel as a threaded insert. The sharpie refill threads into them perfectly.

OOPS

I wanted to make one or perhaps two of these, so the cost of a tap just didn't seem worth it. I have purchased one of the refillable Sharpies (the brushed aluminum housing that the refills go into.) I think the cost was about $6. What I intend to do is cut out the small threaded section of the aluminum housing and use that for the threads in my pen. I figured it was like buying a $6 kit to make the pen. Plus, you get a refill with the aluminum housing!

Some of you might try that as a cheaper alternative, if you just want one for yourself.

jjudge

If its the el grande coupler ... then beartoothwoods.com has them for 49 cents/ea.

edit: metal coupler, which mates the nib/section to the body (has outside and inside threading) - marked as "nib holder" in that diagram

Last edited:

gwilki

Not the nib holder. The center band. It's a plastic part that presses into the cap's tube. It has a shoulder on it that the rings press against. The threads on the inside of it match those of the Sharpie refill. I can't say where to get them. I had a few kicking around from kits that I used other parts out of.

Top Bottom