do you test your fountain pens before delivery?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

underdog

Just finished my first Jr Gent II last night. Got a decent finish and fit on it. (And thanks for all the good advice about the end milling. I'll try to have pix up before the end of the day.)

Since I've never used or made one of these things, I wonder if I should install the cartridge and test it to make sure it's writing correctly? Y'know, before delivery and payment...

Or should I let the new owner do that?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ashaw

Jim
Always test before delivering. I first test out the nib. Dip in ink that tells me if I need to do any additional smoothing of the nib. Then install the cartridge or convertor and test out the flow. Your you have do that you need to clean out the feed nib. What I like to do is pull out the nib and feed from the nib holder clean up real good. Then use either air in the can or you compressor to dry everything real good and put back together.

IPD_Mr

Alan thanks for adding the air compressor step to your list. It is important to get it dry before you ship. Another good tool for cleaning it out is one of the nose clearers that you use on babies. I forget what they are called but you squeeze them put the tip to the babies nose and release so that it draws out the snot. Well for pens you fill it full of water and push it to the back of the feed where the cartridge converter goes and force the water through the feed and it basically flushes the system.

gbpens

By all means test before delivery! Every pen we sell is our reputation. Would you want to buy something only to find it does not work correctly? You have gone to considerable effort to produce what will be a great pen. Do not take the chance of failure when all you have to do is test it. You have an obligation to the customer AND yourself to do the best job you can. I am sure the customer will appreciate your work.

avbill

Every FP is tested and the nib conditioned for the new owner. I then sign a business card telling the new owner that the pen's nib was test and ready to go.

"This pen was tested on ___________ by _________________. "

It completes the sale ~~ giving "value" to the pen.

ashaw

Jim

Do yourself a huge favor by a bottle of ink for dipping to use with a convertor. Make sure you know how to fill the convertor. Also get good ink cartridges (private reserve). You can get them from Mike and Linda. Through out the cartridges that come with the components. Make sure you know how to start the ink to flow through the system.

underdog

Dang. I'm not going to make a cent off this pen....

I bought the kit, and the bushing/drill bit set, and thought I was done. But after seeing Robert's demo at the Turning Southern Style symposium, I went and bought a mandrel saver and a set of Whiteside mills. And to make polishing easier, I bought some EEE-wax...

And now I'm going to have to buy some ink too? Sheesh...

76winger

You'll be fine. It's better to ship a FP that you know works than it is to ship it, have it not work, then they have to ship it back to you to fix it (then you ship it back again!).

It's extra work, but will pay off in a happy customer that will likely remember you the next time they want one.

I started carrying one around with me last year so I could use and get familiar with them as well. Worth the effort when you get to share experience with the prospective customer, and you already have the ink for testing then as well!

Last edited:

MartinPens

You'll certanly learn quickly not to under sell a FP. I have greatly benefitted from the info above within my own question posts. Now I have caught the fountain pen bug. Get some ink, give it a go and most of all enjoy writng with a FP. I write with mine every day and look forward to it running out of ink so I can put in a new color! Mike has been a great help at IDP. I've also enjoy the info at edison pen co.

nativewooder

Who in the world ever told you that any part of wood working is cheap, inexpensive, or whatever?!!:eek: It's almost like breathing, which is very easy, until you start to feed the engine that runs the dual pumps.:biggrin:

Top Bottom