Do Truestone Tubes Need Painting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

I believe this has been asked before but was wondering if tubes for truestone blanks need to be painted? Thanks for your answers.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

Thanks guys. I have a red/gold matrix. I think I will go ahead and paint to be on the safe side.

randyrls

You can also change the shading / color of the blank by painting it with differing colors. These two blanks are identical except one was painted pink, and the other baby blue. I do these for baby showers, naturally! :rolleyes: These blanks are very translucent.

Joe Burns

Has been a great thread for me. I have some truestone and acrylic blanks I will be turning soon. I'm wondering what and when is the best colors to use. What is a good rule of thumb to match the colors you use in painting the tubes and back painting the blanks.

For example when would you use black, white, silver, or other colors?

Joe

alphageek

Former Moderator
Has been a great thread for me. I have some truestone and acrylic blanks I will be turning soon. I'm wondering what and when is the best colors to use. What is a good rule of thumb to match the colors you use in painting the tubes and back painting the blanks.

For example when would you use black, white, silver, or other colors?

Joe

One word Joe - Experiment.. Here was my first success at experimenting: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78815

To the OP - and others.. If your blank has any spare material and you are in doubt or want to try options, slice a thin piece off the end. That will give you a better idea if it will be translucent when turned. That said - I've never painted truestone yet and I've done a couple dozen.

Top Bottom