Designer Filagree Tips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Does anyone have a pattern or know how to turn these? I made one out of antler and it came out wrong so I wound up having to turn both of the centerband sides down to fit the band, is this correct? Please help :p

Any links on the blueprint?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Notice how I had to shave both pieces down in the middle, anyway, tips? Is that how your supposed to do it?

Attachments

• 0527111800.jpg
    0527111800.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 0527111803.jpg
    0527111803.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 208

ldb2000

No pattern or blueprint needed , they are supposed to be turned the same as any Euro/designer pen except the upper barrel has to fit into the fillagree . These style pens don't really work with wierd shapes .

azamiryou

I wound up having to turn both of the centerband sides down to fit the band, is this correct?

Both sides of the centerband? The upper barrel side has to be smaller to fit the filagree (filagree's outer diameter matches the pen components, barrel matches the smaller inner diameter). But I can't imagine why the lower barrel side of the CB would be off.

Which tube is the tube with the metal band? The Smaller or the Larger?

And I'm starting to see now, since the bottom tube should be slimline, it should fit under it.

That brings me to my next problem, the ink wasn't reaching the outside when turned, I had to insert the inner tube farther than normal so that I could write with it.

Ideas?

azamiryou

Have you done non-filagree Designer (Euro) pens? If you haven't I may see where some of your confusion comes from.

Although it's similar to a slimline, the lower barrel is slightly longer, so the transmission has to go in slightly farther.

On a Euro/Designer, the upper barrel is fatter than the lower barrel, with the center band as a step down. In fact, the lower barrel fits very slightly inside the center band.

Rick_G

It looks to me like you have the centerband reversed. The tapered end of the CB will go towards the barrel or the nib end of the pen. this provides a gradual step down to the narrower (normally) barrel of the pen, the other end is flat to match the cap size or the filigree. A tenon is normally turned on the cap end to fit inside the center band although for this design it may not have to be because of the filigree. The barrel which is normally smaller fits inside the CB a short distance. With your design you would have to turn a small tenon to go inside the CB.

Last edited:
Okay I am sorry for the confusion, wich is the "upper" and "lower" barrels, New to turning, the Longer Barrel is the one you write with, and the shorter barrel holds the clip, corect? And the Shorter barrel holds the centerband, and the longer barrel is usualy a slim cut, so it fits right it\n. And the black ring on the centerband, does that favor the smaller or longer barrel?

Thanks guys

azamiryou

Okay I am sorry for the confusion, wich is the "upper" and "lower" barrels, New to turning

Don't knock yourself, we all had to start somewhere!:)

the Longer Barrel is the one you write with, and the shorter barrel holds the clip, corect? And the Shorter barrel holds the centerband, and the longer barrel is usualy a slim cut, so it fits right it\n. And the black ring on the centerband, does that favor the smaller or longer barrel?

Barrels: upper has the clip, lower you write with. For the Designer, you are correct - the longer one is the lower, the shorter one is the upper.

Yes, the CB (center band) fits onto the upper (shorter) barrel, usually onto a tenon cut onto the barrel with a parting tool. There are now some "NT" (no tenon) kits available, where you part the wood off all the way to the brass tube.

In your photos, it looks like on your CB the black stripe should be closer to the upper barrel. There's no rule, though, and some bands have more stripes or other designs. The way to tell is that one side of the CB has a sharp corner, and the other is rounded over. The sharp corner goes against the upper barrel. The rounded over part goes against the lower barrel.

Top Bottom