Designer/Euro Alternative

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_l

Designer/European pens are by far my best sellers. I want to keep my customers happy. However, I am not crazy about making the little tenon on the end for the center band. Some are too loose, or too long, or too short..... [V] (I do have the sizing band for the tenon) Most pens come out OK, I'm just tired of making the tenon. Anyway, I am looking for an alternative. Similar in style without the delicate centerband operation.
I have found the double twist round top European from Berea at BB's site. (My understatnding is you cut the tenon all the way to the brass tube.) Any comments, good or bad on that pen. Or, do you have another suggestion.
Any help is much appreciated.:D

Mike L

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

The 8mm Euro is a well made kit and looks very good when done right. It is however pretty touchy about the length of the upper barrel. If it's too short, the transmission won't work and if it's too long the coupler fitting will show. Also, it's more than extremely difficult to line up the grain. I sell quite a few of these and stay away from material that really needs to have the grain lined up and where it's obvious if it isn't.

My best seller this year, has been the Olympia from AZ. It's sort of a Euro style with a fancier CB and different clip/finial. It's a bit smaller and lighter than the 8mm Euro. Lengths of the barrels are not as critical since it uses a Cross refill. The tenon is cut all the way to the tube, but there isn't sizing band so you have to have a good pair of calipers handy while you turn the upper barrel. Try them both and see what your customers prefer.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I like the P.K. MON PAR for the simple reason it is a PArker style sit with a NO FAIL trasnsmission and I don't need to use the C.B. in fact if you want some extras I have a mess of them somewhere.
That pen can be turned like a slimline with a custom C.B. The length of the top is not critical.

Firefyter-emt

The "Classic" / "Americana" ect is a good choice. It uses the larger Parker style transmission and while you still have a a tenon, it is down to the brass tube. Operation is pretty much the same. What I do is to measure the tenon with the lathe off and touch a pencil to the blank. Then hand spin the lathe leaving a line that you can see when the lathe is running. I make it so I remove the line to get the proper width. (Yes, the exact thickness is a pain even with the sizing bushing) [:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
If you think the tenon on the Euro is a pain you haven't seen any thing until you have dealt withthe transmissions on those kits.

alamocdc

I've done about 100 PK-Monpars that Eagle talks about and only had two tranny failures. One out of the bag and one after about 6 months. There are only two things I don't like about it and one of them I've been trying to get Woodturningz to fix, but nothing so far. 1) It only comes in 24k, and 2) the tenon isn't to the tube and I've all but quit making pens that have tenons that aren;t to the tube. However, like Eagle says, you don't have to use the CB.

On the other hand, the Berea 8mm Euro that Gerry mentioned is a snap and comes in a variety of platings. However, it feels a bit top heavy to me because of the solid brass finial (and it presses into and drives the tranny so modifying it is tricky).

The Olympia that Stan mentioned is a nice choice. It uses a tenon too, but it goes to the tube. It comes in a variety of platings and can be modified quite a bit w/o much trouble. IMO the Oly has 2 short comings; 1) Cross refill and 2) price... it's a bit spendy for a Cross pen. It can be a very attractive pen (if you shorten the upper barrel), and is a pretty good seller if you have the market for higher priced pens.

Rudy Vey

The Double Twist from Berea is a very nice pen, just be careful about the length as mentioned here already. Another nice pen, and in my opinion the best pen altogether, is the Perfect Fit Convertable. Excellent mechanism and the possibility to convert to a pencil in a second by just changing the insert makes this my favourite. Also, the centerband can be had in different designs and the clip is just beautiful.

mike_l

So many options, so little time!! Thanks for all of the ideas guys. [8D] I think I will go with the Olympia. For one it fits on my "A" mandrel and it comes in many platings. It sounds easy enough to make and I like the idea of it being customizable.
I am going to skip the 8mm Double Twist Euro for now. It is still in my future plans though--(See first paragraph regarding options and time!![:D][:D])
Thanks again for all of your input.

I do have one more question...What is a PK monpar and where does one purchase such a pen kit?

Thanks,
Mike L

I have had good success with the Perfect Fit. I don't see many pics, so I'm not sure if anyone else is having success selling this one. I have sold around 30 in the last few months. The tenon goes to the brass and the CB comes in two patterns. It can be converted to a pencil as well.

Brian

kent4Him

I've had some luck with doing the Euro's without a band. Kind of like a big KC Twist. Another option is to use a different wood for the lower section of the upper barrel. It acts like the center band then.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Billy and Eagle,
How does the plating on the PK Montpar hold up?

By the time I get done with them there isn't much plating to see.
I am not crazy about the finial so I make my own(or use them in my casing pens but have recently started sturning them down and powdercoating them).
I never did like the black and gold CB so when I modify my pens I leave them off.(They look too much like a "kit" with them on)
I never liked the styule of clip that comes with the pen so I buy custom clips that are more stream lined.
They have a heck of a nib and and a fool proof transmission.
The kit is very forgiving in its' design much like a slimline and that is why I like it.
Also I get to talk to Fritz when I place my order and that is worth more than money can buy.

bobaltig

Mike: I too hate cutting the tenon. I cut the top blank short by the length of the centerband, but leave the tube the normal size. I then segment a contrasting colored wood the same length as the metal centerband onto the tube. Then turn the blanks just the same as if I were using the metal centerband minus the tenon cutting. The picture is of a slimline, but the principle is the same.

Bob A

200692442118_turq3.jpg
<br />

mike_l

Great tip Bob. I'll give that a try. Great looking pen by the way!
I went ahead and ordered a dozen Olympia's from BB. I'll let you guys know how they turn out as soon as I get my order.
Thanks for all the replies. [:)]

Mike L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom