Dental Wax Sheets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

For those who use dental wax to keep glue from getting inside the tubes -- where do you get it? I thought I saw a pack in the CSUSA catalog, but I can't find it on their website. Dental supply websites want $20 for a small box.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

I make my own. There are always some short candle stubs laying around the house. I melt some of them down in an empty tin can and then pour a thin layer of wax (abiut 1/8") into a couple of empty tunafish cans. If you actually want sheet wax, you could probably put a layer or two of wax paper in a baking pan and then pour some melted wax into the pan.

Buying the sheets from Bill is very economical; but I hate paying 5 or 6 bucks postage for $2 worth of wax sheets and my need for wax always seems to surface at a time when I don't need to order anything else.

Texatdurango

....Buying the sheets from Bill is very economical; but I hate paying 5 or 6 bucks postage for $2 worth of wax sheets and my need for wax always seems to surface at a time when I don't need to order anything else.
Wow, that was my dilehma exactly. Cheap minds must think alike! :biggrin:

When I started doing a lot of "kitless" pens I had a need for some nib feeds so broke down and placed an order and stocked up with a few dozen sheets of the wax. Now I've got wax for 50+ years or 188,324 pens whichever comes first!

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I make my own. There are always some short candle stubs laying around the house. I melt some of them down in an empty tin can and then pour a thin layer of wax (abiut 1/8") into a couple of empty tunafish cans. If you actually want sheet wax, you could probably put a layer or two of wax paper in a baking pan and then pour some melted wax into the pan.

Buying the sheets from Bill is very economical; but I hate paying 5 or 6 bucks postage for $2 worth of wax sheets and my need for wax always seems to surface at a time when I don't need to order anything else.
To quote a C&W song ........why didn't I think of that?

Ligget

OK I am Scottish so I am well known for being thrifty with money, when my wax sheets finished I went back to the sliced potato to stop the glue getting in the tubes, potato borrowed from a neighbour of course! LOL

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Plumber's putty from the local harware store is cheap, good, and one tub will last a LONG time. Squish out a medium layer and use it just like the wax sheets.

jkeithrussell

Plumber's putty from the local harware store is cheap, good, and one tub will last a LONG time. Squish out a medium layer and use it just like the wax sheets.

That's a good idea. I need to get some anyway to try to salvage my aerosal spray can from Harbor Freight which leaks air like crazy.

PenMan1

I use plumber's putty.

I use plumber's putty. It works very well, pushes out easily with a dowel or barrell trimmer and is soft and can be re-used. I used to use play dough, but the kids got grown and over time the play dough gets hard. A 69 cent can of plumbers putty has lasted me over two years. just toss the used portion back in the jar and reseal it.

PenMan1

I use a 18 X 18 inch marble floor tile sprayed with Pam as a glue up board. It works pretty well at keeping the glue off my high-dollar work bench. After I finish glueing up, I still have to clean the tile with a putty knife. I bought the tile on close out at BORG for 99 cents. I know there must be a better way! anyone got any ideas?

jleiwig

I use a 18 X 18 inch marble floor tile sprayed with Pam as a glue up board. It works pretty well at keeping the glue off my high-dollar work bench. After I finish glueing up, I still have to clean the tile with a putty knife. I bought the tile on close out at BORG for 99 cents. I know there must be a better way! anyone got any ideas?

Other than wax paper, I think your idea is very good and may steal it for myself.

rjwolfe3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenMan1

Other than wax paper, I think your idea is very good and may steal it for myself.

I agree!

stoneman

To quote a C&W song ........why didn't I think of that?

Monty,

There is a lot of wisdom in the lines of those C&W songs. Even the titles get to you sometimes, like those C&W love songs such as,

"How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away" or

"I'm So Miserable Without You, It's Almost Like You're Here"

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

jkeithrussell

Monty,

There is a lot of wisdom in the lines of those C&W songs. Even the titles get to you sometimes, like those C&W love songs such as,

"How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away" or

"I'm So Miserable Without You, It's Almost Like You're Here"

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Or my all-time favorite: "How Can I Kiss The Lips At Night, That Chewed My As* Out All Day Long." Lest you think I'm kidding, look it up!

Top Bottom